Saturday, January 06, 2007

And yet again...

Okay, so I'm "putting myself out there" once more.

This time it's Match.com.

And here is the first message I received after putting up my profile:

"Hi Angel,How are you doing,have just finished going through your profile,when my heart stop beating ,that's because Your smile has a beauty that I find in no other profile... As long as my heart beats, I shall seek out your soul and be fulfilled!!!!Every night I dream of heaven, and I'd gotten used to the idea that they are looking for an angel {YOU}, one that went missing the day you stepped into The word, the day men sorrows were washed away and men took a step into the impossible, crossing the margin from natural to supernatural. You are an angel and forever you will be. The one whose memories men will treasure forever till the day they turn into an angel like you. Am online now let's have a chat on yahoo IM larry_paul123Larry"


Was he drunk? Does he understand basic grammar? Does he really talk like this?

Why? Why? What is it about me that draws in the crazy people? Remember the "pyrate" and the bitter guy back in July?

I used the same picture I have here on the blog; not professional, but a good photo. It looks like me, and was taken about six months ago. Not like some of the photos I've seen. What's with the baseball hats and sunglasses? I mean, out of all the photos a man has of himself, he chooses one that hides most of his face? Or the lovely ones where he's obviously with a woman, but she's been cut out of the photo except for her hand on his shoulder or something.

Okay, so I need to be even more proactive. Instead of waiting for a message, I found someone who in writing seemed to be almost a perfect match. Here's his reply:

Thank you so much for your note and your kind words - I really appreciate it! Lately the response to my Match profile has been a bit overwhelming. I'm going to focus my attention to a few profiles that have really caught my attention and see what friendships (hopefully more) develop.
I wish you the best!
Ken

Overwhelming response? So he's telling me that so many fine fine women are writing back to him that he is overwhelmed? And that I've not caught his attention? And that he hopes that more than just friendship develops with these women? What a thoughtful guy. You know, letting me know that part.

Do I sound bitter? Yeah. I am.

Probably not the best way to be approaching this.

It seems that all a guy has to do to be attractive on these sites is to spell well and use proper grammar, while a woman has to be sexy and athletic, and beautiful and have long hair. Intelligence seems to come much lower on the scale of importance to many of these guys.

And then, of course, I'm not interested in men who aren't interested in intelligence...

Methinks it's time for a little attitude adjustment.

6 comments:

Doug said...

As I'm sure you've already said, "There's gotta be a better way."

Your first freak, er, I mean, applicant doesn't show up on Yahoo's member search. Maybe he/she/it isn't a real person. Of course, if it were a computer it would use grammar more better. ;)

Your second wierdo, er, egomaniac, er, candidate, well, if he's too busy, good for him. Maybe you could stalk him. That's not very helpful advice, I know, but it's kinda my fall-back advice. ;)

Seriously, I know none of this helps, and I wish I had something constructive. The only thing I can say is, keep trying. I think the proactive approach will give you more opportunities to meet people, but you may end up being shot down more often.

I hope things turn around for you soon.

*hugs*

Chunks said...

I was going to try to give you advice then I realized I haven't dated since 1987, so I'm irrelevant.

As uncomfortable as it is, get out there. Go way out there though, like outside in the fresh air. Go be the things you hope to attract and it will happen.

St. Dickeybird said...

Message 1: He cuts/ pastes it to any woman with a profile.

Message 2: I don't think he's being too bad with his version of 'no'.

Keep up with it, internet dating can be a great thing. I've met quite a few great people through it. Most women I know have to weed through dozens of trolls and idiots to find the decent few guys there. But they ARE there.

And you've got a great pic. You're very pretty, smart, and personable (as far as blogs will tell). You'll have your pic once you've sifted through the swamp of men.

Lucia said...

Drifted over here from St. D's blog...

I actually had the exact cut-n-paste thought he did about that first responder. And, the second, yeah, I'm thinking the same thing there too. (My kindergarten report card should have said, "Not an original thinker." I guess.)

Anyway, have enjoyed coming on over here, and I'll be back!

Snooze said...

Hmmm - I tend to agree with Dickey's assessment of the first guy and would for the second, except that his answer was all about him. I've had guys say the exact same thing to me, but they didn't refer to 'an overwhelming' response to their profile. Usually they just mention that they are persuing one other person. Fair enough. This guy just sounds a tad too up on himself.

r said...

doug: Thanks sweets. I'm sticking with it.
Chunks: Oh man, it feels like I've not dated since 1987. I'm out there, don't worry. I'm at the beach, the dogpark, involved in some things at the university... and let's not forget my application to the Fulbright Exchange. I'm not waiting around.
St. Dicky: You're probably right about the first one, and no, the second one wasn't rude or anything, but it was the bit about the "overwhelming response" that got me.
Lucia: Thanks for checking me out!
Snooze: I'm so glad someone agrees with me. :)