Sunday, January 07, 2007

Oh boy!

I switched a little tiny bit of the template of my blog; figured blue was more becoming to my eyes and all.

Worked at school today for about five hours and didn't get enough done. I have a really hard time working at home, but right now, it's so deserted at school, and because of the construction there's no outside lights down the entire back length of the school, and well... I just don't like walking through the pitch black to get to where I have to park my car (basically Zimbabwe until the work is done).

Some things got done, and I found my flash-drive which I'd been searching for since Thanksgiving and which was in the pocket of my yucky coat which has been in my car in case of emergencies, and since my room has an arctic-like temperature, I figured I would need it.

There it was. Good thing too, since I'm trying to install the grading program I use at school on my home computer, so I can at least enter grades here where it's comfy and well-lit, and I can have a warming mug of Wassail if needed to keep away the chill. Keeps me well-lit too.

Oh, I slay me, I really do.

So what's the "oh boy!" about?

After leaving the lovely classroom, my car had a mind of it's own and drove me over to Macy's. Macy's where the boots are 50% off right now.

Now, I have spoken before of my, um... rather large calves. I believe the code for it is "muscular."

Sorry folks, I just have oversize calves and wee little feet. Makes it really hard to find any kind of boots that fit. If I wore a size 10 or 11 shoe, I probably wouldn't have as much trouble but hoo boy... I've been searching for brown leather boots since last winter.

But Becky, you don't need boots... you live in a lovely temperate climate... you probably wear open-toed sandals to work year round, right? Why would you even bother with boots?

Fashion. That's why. Really, we only need one or two pairs of shoes if we get right down to it.

I have, let's just say, more than two pairs of shoes.

See, normally, shoes always fit. I've lost a bunch of weight, but still have the same shoe size. When I gained all the weight... I could still buy shoes. And earrings. I have a bit of a problem with that, but I blame it on my mother. She got her ears pierced at 44, and there was no turning back for her. She bought all kinds of earrings for a while, and passed that love of jewelry on down to me. She's also an artist, and made jewelry for over 10 years when I was growing up. Oh, and don't forget, her fabulous taste.

She doesn't try to buy me clothes anymore, she's learned her lesson there, but man, the earrings she buys me are always wonderful. Always.

I digress.

So, went into Macy's, and found about seven pairs of brown boots to try on. One by one they were discarded. Oh, I could get the Anne Kleins zipped up, but I think I actually felt a vein bursting as I did it. Then there was this other pair, White Mountains I think, which fit great. They were meant to have jeans or pants tucked into them I was told by the clerk.

Oh.

And, they had a three-inch, wooden, stacked heel. Yeouch. Nope. Not gonna work.

Then, the last pair... simple, dark brown, low heel... a riding boot style, if you will.

They fit. Snugly, yes, but they fit. And leather. And $59!

Oh boy.

2 comments:

Snooze said...

I wear my boots all summer long. You're so right that footwear is a love and not a necessity.

Doug said...

LOL You slay me, too!

So, now you have three (more than 2, right?) pairs of shoes and a pair of boots! Congrats!