Sunday, October 01, 2006

Back from Chatsworth

I've just discovered Neko Case. I'm listening to her for the first time right now (although it's her fourth album... I'm a little slow to the hep cat music scene).

Usually, I like music for lyrics first, melodies second. It took me a long time to realize that not everyone is as into the lyrics as I am. Same reason I love poetry.

Anyway, I'm not listening to the lyrics as much as the sound this time. Not that I didn't immediately look up the lyrics too; they are wonderful. But her sound is wonderful. Kind of that folk kind of sound, without the Peter, Paul and Mary quality. Music I bet I'll be singing along to in a few days.

I have a horrible headache right now, but advil will take care of that. I've have a low grade headache for days now. I get those instead of migraines most of the time. Actually it is a kind of migraine; but one that doesn't explode all at once.

I'm struggling with my decision about the Fulbright Teacher Exchange application. See, I now have 15 days to get it all in. Including my letters of reference. And, if I ask people to put in time for me, writing things up, and I work my ass off getting paperwork finished, and the school board doesn't send in my application approval, it's all for naught.

Do I want to call the whole thing off? Wait another year just to apply and another year after that to actually go if they choose me? Do I want to admit defeat? After I've told so many people what I'm planning on doing? Do I give up before I get let down?

Isn't that the eternal question? I'm not known as someone who tries something she doesn't think she'll accomplish. There's a reason I don't know how to surf.

When I do set my mind to something, I do stick to it like glue. I actually refer to myself as the Queen of Second Chances.

After I graduated from UCSB, I got a job as a residential instructor in a group home for behavior-disordered, developmentally disabled, young adults. I know, what a mouthful. As a housewarming gift, the night before I moved in, one of the clients (residents) broke every window in the house. Only a 23-year-old would sign on for such a job.

Anyway, about six months in, a friend of mine, who was teaching in Japan, said I should apply to the same school. I thought, "why not?" and applied. Went through the whole interview process, they flew me to Chicago for my first real "grown up" interview and all, and... I didn't get the job.

I'd worked and lived at the group home for 15 months total before I was contacted by the Kobe College Corporation again. Seems the woman they'd chosen instead of me had had a breakdown over there, and was I still interested? They were desperate, I was still interested, and off I went.

After I got back, I fiddled around for three years, trying to avoid becoming a teacher. I knew how crappy the pay was, how long the hours were, and how we were looked at more like volunteers than professionals. I wanted no part of it. Except it's who I was.

I applied to graduate school, had years of teaching experience, and ... didn't get accepted. Basically, white women are a dime a dozen in English Teacher Education programs, and they had a quota. Yeah, I could've made a big deal about it, but I do believe kids need to see adults that reflect themselves; and I don't reflect the life of my lower-income, Latino students.

Another year, I got in.

Then, I had a great student teaching assignment. I worked with a legend in the district, and she liked me. There were going to be three openings at the same school where I was placed, so as far as I was concerned, I was in like Flynn.

Except I wasn't. Less than 24 hours after my interview, I'd received a letter basically stating, "thanks but no thanks." Not even a "We'll keep your resume on file." Later I found out that I came off as rather cold. Me! Cold? God, disorganized yes, but cold? Wow. The exact words used to describe my interview? "She didn't appear to have good intentionality." I know. I don't think that's a word either.

Again, luck was with me however. My master teacher, the legend, went storming to the principal's office when she found out I hadn't been hired (that's how I know how my interview was described) and one of the applicants offered a position at our school didn't take it.

Voila. I'm hired.

So, I'm not what anyone would call a "golden girl." I don't impress on first sight or first meeting. I take a while to get used to. I know my strength is my ability to keep going for something I want.

I do want this Exchange. But do I want it now, with all the headache it entails, or am I willing to wait another year just to apply?

Where's the magic 8 ball when I need it?

5 comments:

Doug said...

I certainly don't know what is involved in the application process, but you'll never know unless you try.

How many applicants are there in your school district? Are we talking hundreds from your area, or will your application get some personal attention?

Is your master teacher still around to pull some strings?

St. Dickeybird said...

Like Doug said, try.
If you don't go for it, you'll never get it!

Oh yeah, and Neko's quite good.
:)

Chunks said...

In the immortal words of Rocky Balboa..."Go for it!"

Try, if you fail, try again. It's the only thing that separates us from the apes. Oh no, wait, that's not it either. You just never know how many second chances a girl will get in life.

GayProf said...

Put in the application. While applying might not guarantee that you will be selected, not applying will guarantee that you won't be chosen. As they say, a change can be as good as a rest.

I love, love, love, love Neko Case. She carried me through my breakup. My favorite songs: Runnin' Out of Fools; Favorite; We've Never Met; Lonely Old Lies; and Thanks a Lot.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes you really remind me of myself. There's no harm in trying and then sitting back and evaluating your feelings afterwards. Decisions, decisions....Devo