Friday, August 17, 2007

The Fire That Wouldn't Stop

The picture below is from Tuesday afternoon.
Then the wind changed. Yesterday was bad, today is worse. Here's what it looks like from my driveway now.

I wish there was smell-o-vision through the blog, because the smoke is so overpowering. Yesterday they started issuing health warnings, and this morning everyone is being told to stay indoors and close up their windows. Which is all fine, except when it gets to be about 89 degrees in the afternoon, and almost no one has air conditioning.

It's not even like I can drive up or down the coast to get away from it, because this fire is so huge now, the smoke is in four different counties. Santa Barbara is 25 miles away from it; I can't imagine being closer.

The spiderwebs on the Juniper bushes are clogged with the ash. It's no longer the big fluttery bits, but a fine, dust-like coating on everything.


Tomorrow, a friend is throwing a birthday party for me at a nearby park. Maybe I should go pick up some of those paper masks?

Another indoor day for the Wonder Dog and myself.

2 comments:

tornwordo said...

I like spending days at home. It's an excuse to stay in one's jammies.

chella said...

rnoprhyou comment on & show the fire fallout so well! because of your blog entries, i was inspried to write several fire poems. thanks so much, dear muse!

your pal, c