Saturday, August 04, 2007

Fire still going on

The Zaca fire is still burning away. The new expected containment date is September 7th! That'll be more than two months this fires been eating up the back country.

Thursday night the wind changed, and yesterday there was more ash than ever. It looked like snow. It covered everything, and made it hard to breath.

Small, perfectly formed leaves would fall, and then crumble when I tried to pick them up. The fire is burning so fast and so hot, that they keep their shape until touched.

It's all over the yard, in little piles. I didn't work outside yesterday because of it.

All the shadows were strange and orange. I tried to take a picture of it, but my camera wasn't up to the task. It felt like dusk all day, even at two in the afternoon.


It's still not close by, but wow... the power of it all. The ash is now falling in four counties. Yesterday Ah-nold declared a state of emergency here.

I'm just glad it's not close by.

7 comments:

Devo said...

Good God, that ash and smoke is scary. That is so hard on the lungs. Stay out of that crap. Yikes. The forces of nature are something to be reckoned with aren't they? Be safe. Is your tomato plant thriving now? It looks bigger now. Happy little plant.

r said...

Heh.

That's my neighbor's lush plant.

Mine's a goner.

Anonymous said...

Dang, I thought maybe you were gonna get fresh tomatoes after all.

I remember being amazed the first time I saw perfectly formed ash leaves falling from the sky. Sort of a miracle, though a sad one.

chella said...

you pix are amazing. we keep washing away ash, layers of it! dad flies back tomorrow; his flight from LAX is 10 am. ttys, chella

tornwordo said...

What's scary is that fire season isn't until October.

GayProf said...

Remember to change the filter in your a/c system more often (if you have central air).

I hope things are under control soon.

Chunks said...

Climate change. It's everywhere. I hope they can get it contained before September. What are the chances of a little rain falling there?