Thursday, July 19, 2007

Why?


Guess how much the cute little "hang-it-all" costs. No really, guess.

Now double that.
A few years ago, my girlfriends and I were on a garage sale kick. We'd scour the ads on Friday, make our plan, get together early for coffee, and set out. Now we're having our own garage sales, but that's another story.
One lovely Saturday, we decided to hit the chichi (I thought it was spelled "chi chi" but no, no space) town of Montecito. You know, where Oprah and assorted other rich people live?
Now, there are basically two kinds of people who have garage sales. Those who want to make a little cash on stuff they're going to give to Goodwill anyway, and those who have no clue. Those who have no clue don't understand that it doesn't matter how much he or she paid for it, because it's used now. Used items are not worth as much as new items. Most of the time anyway. I hope you aren't selling your grandmother's Chesterfield at a garage sale.
Anyway, we went to a house that was obviously being renovated. There were all kinds of building materials, and tools and things like a kitchen sink for sale. One of the items was the above coat rack.
Even though it's for children, I love colorful things. I thought it was cute, but there was no price tag on it. I asked the guy and his response?
Are you ready for this?
Seventy-five dollars!
Can you believe it? I nearly had an asthma attack. For a wire and wooden ball coat rack? He said it was a "Blahdiblah" and was new, never used. Silly, provincial me, I'd never heard of the "Blahdiblah" brand, and laughed. Said "No thank you," and went on my merry way.
Imagine my surprise this morning, thumbing through my Domino magazine (which is a lame magazine, btw, which replaced Budget Living, which was a great magazine that went belly-up several months ago now), and seeing it on the pages. No price was listed, just this website, highbrowfurniture.com, which is a really pretentious name for an on-line store, in my opinion.
So everyone, now knowing how much the guy asked for it at the garage sale, and knowing it is sold at a place with a name that really should be just "Costsadamnlot.com" have you adjusted your price guess?
That little hanger thingee, which looks like something sold at Ikea, retails at... One-hundred and fiftydollars.
Some people have just too much money to throw around.
Note: No matter how many times I go back and try to add spaces between my paragraphs, blogger won't let me. Of course, it let me once, at the beginning, but now, no way. It looks right in my draft, but then on the blog itself? The spaces disappear. No idea why.)

7 comments:

Doug said...

"Some people have just too much money to throw around."

You said it! And they just hoard it or spend it on useless over-priced crap. And they never give any to me. ;(

Devo said...

That is flamin' cuckoo! You are so right, if people gave a little of all that damn money away once in a wile instead of spending it on useless crap, I like to think the world be a more balanced and nice place. And sunshine will shine out of my ass, I know......:)

Devo said...

Wow, I am a bit disabled today in my writing......Once in a WHILE, I meant, and also the world WOULD be....blah blah blah.......

CoffeeDog said...

Try to edit your post in HTML mode and see what's going on behind the curtain, Dorothy (sorry had to add that Dorothy bit)

Snooze said...

Wow. I'm all for designer, but for a fucking hanger? I'm so glad you included a photo. It sums it all up. What a hilarious garage sale.

tornwordo said...

Yeah, look at the html for where the paragraph break worked and then past that in to the other spots.

At least you know you have "highbrow" taste, lol.

GayProf said...

There are many things that I could do with an extra $75 or $150. Buying a wire coat rack is not one of them.