Friday, July 20, 2007

Fourteen Friday

I forgot to do Thirteen Thursday, so I thought I'd make up for it today.


Fourteen Things About Vegas:



1. Torn and I have been going to Vegas together for several years. We've gone with my mother, his mother, his father and much of the time, by ourselves. I think we've been going for at least 15 years.


2. During the last few years, we have almost a routine. We stop at the same rest stop and take a picture:The one above is from 2005, below, from a few weeks ago.

3. Vegas is like no other place in the world. There's always something that makes us laugh and laugh.



Notice that after you go up to the top of the Stratosphere, you can get a "snack" of Nachos, a bag of chips and a soft drink. Since when is that a snack, and why would you need chips if you already have Nachos?

4. At the Rio, there is a wine bar... I think it's called The Cellar, but every time I go to Vegas, I go there. It's gotten more expensive over the years.


Three guesses whose charming digit that is.

5. Torn isn't the only person I've gone to Vegas with. My 39th birthday was spent in a Cabana by the Rio pool with a bunch of girlfriends. We then went to dinner at a great Indian place, and then off to a ritzy club my sister got us into with one of her many contacts.


6. Most of my friends don't like Vegas as much as I do. It's cheap, it's fun, and it's like a little fantasy world for me. There's always the chance of winning (like I did last year), and no one expects anything of you. No responsibilities. Drinking, sitting out by the pool, playing games, what's there not to like?


7. Pooping in Vegas though. That's never fun. For some reason I always get all blocked up. "Paste Poo" is the name Torn came up with for it. My sister laughed and laughed when she heard me refer to it as that. "You name your poo?!" I guess it is pretty funny. We always (I always) bring the flushable wet wipes now. Also, lots of water. I'm always dehydrated there whether it's the winter or the summer.


8. There is a direct flight to Vegas from Santa Barbara, but I've not taken it in a long time. It's only about 45 minutes from airport to airport, but then there's the line for the taxi, and all that airport hassle. Driving takes about 5 hours.


9. Except, I've not driven directly in the last 10 years or so. I used to drive to Long Beach to pick up Torn, and the last few years I've driven to Santa Ana to pick him up. Adds another 3 hours or so to the drive. Kindof a drag.


10. This year, I became addicted to Vanilla Iced Coffees from McDonalds whist in Vegas. We drank far too much cheap red wine one night, and the next day we were both rotten with hangovers. Torn and I were taking turns getting the coffee each day from Seattle's Best at the next hotel over, and it was my turn. Ugh. In the most pitiful voice he could muster, Torn pointed out that there was a McDonald's next to the coffee shop, and could I please get him a sausage McMuffin? As everyone knows, that is the absolute hangover cure. Problem was, I made a new year's resolution not to eat at McDonald's for a year. I broke my resolution with both the aforementioned Vanilla Iced Coffee, and a McGriddle. Then of course I had to go back the next day and get another! Crack I tell you. There's crack in McDonald's food. Luckily, the MickyD's here doesn't have the coffee drink, so I've been able to stay away.


11. I bring flip flops to wear in Vegas just because it annoys Torn.


12. I'm the one who says "You can't win big if you don't bet big." Just as we were getting ready to leave, I said I was going to cash in my voucher ($20), and then meet Torn upstairs. As I was walking to the cashier's cage, I saw the "Coyote Moon" machine beckoning to me. I put in my 20 bucks and started punching buttons. I went down to 69 cents, and figured that was it. But no. I won a little, and a little more, and then... I thought, "What the heck" and pushed the MAX BET button (this was a penny machine though, so the max bet was about $2.50), and blam! I won 82 bucks! Whoo hoo! It's the reason why I went home without losing all my money.


13. Sometimes I look good in Las Vegas:


And sometimes I don't:





14. Every time I leave, I start thinking about the next time I can go back.

8 comments:

Doug said...

You had me laughing through this whole post. Awesome pictures of both of you!

tornwordo said...

I thought you came up with paste poo. Or rather, came out with, lol.

Anonymous said...

Del Taco bean burritos are The Cure for hangovers.

Snooze said...

Excellent post. Just excellent. Although I didn't need to know about the paste poo - lol.

Devo said...

Great post, love the pictures, always. I really need to figure out how to do that, I am so inept with the pc. I have never been to Vegas and only recently have I felt the desire. I think a trip will be in my future, you make it sound just right.

GayProf said...

When I was in Vega$, I enjoyed playing the "themed" slot machines a bit too much. Gambling is more fun if it involves I Dream of Jeannie or Bewitched.

CoffeeDog said...

I've been to Vegas once, under stressful conditions. I think I need to go back and give the city another chance.

Excellent post BTW

Chunks said...

Paste poo and all, the trips you take with Torn are awesome! I love the pictures of the two of you together!!

My hangover cure, Gravol, Gatorade and plain chips. I can't eat McD's on a good day!

Oh and how much do I love the cameo appearance of Serge? It was his finger, right?!