Sunday, July 22, 2007

Time

So, I'm trying to get back on the exercise routine.

Five days in Vegas and then the four days at the institute (where the only free time was between 6 am and 8 am... time I spent sleeping, showering, and getting coffee), eating more than I normally do, and exercising... well, not at all... and more weight has crept back on.

Last summer at this time I was down about 40 pounds; I've put back on 15. Why is it so frickin' hard to lose weight and so easy to gain it back?

Anyway, because it's summer, and because I have pretty much nothing to do, I'm trying to move more. You know, make it a habit now, so that when school starts up again, I'll already be in the groove?

Two hours walking on the beach on Thursday, then a total veg out on Friday. Oh, I went wine tasting with a friend, so I exercised my left arm up and down a bit. Saturday I went to a "hip hop" aerobics class, and nearly died. I actually stepped on myself. I did burn some calories though. Then to the Farmer's Market, to which I haven't been in a long time. I love it there. The fresh fruit and veggies and flowers, and all the weird Jojoba oil salespeople and the odd musicians scattered all over. I got grapes, tomatoes, nectarines and strawberries, all for six bucks.

Today, another two hour walk with Charlie; this time from my house to Starbucks. Probably about 6 miles total, but I'm not sure. He's passed out now next to me, and I don't think I have to worry about his not getting enough exercise.

Oh yeah, then there's the ballroom dance class tomorrow. You wouldn't think it would be much of a workout, but it is. You try holding your arm up in the air for an hour at a time.

Tomorrow's the last day of the class. There'll be another class starting up soon probably; but I have to talk to strawberry blond guy, or I'll lose my chance. I got to class late last week, and he was already paired up with someone else. Then he skeedaddled out of there before I could say anything witty to him.

My coupled up friends (pretty much all my friends) have this idea that I have this full, busy social life. I don't. I' m just trying to fill up all the damn time I have by myself. Charlie is great, but come on; I'm not having any kind of meaningful conversation with him. Most days anyway.

Hope you're having a good weekend.

4 comments:

Devo said...

I've been wondering about the dance partner dude. Sounds like you have recommitted yourself to the whole movement thing which can be hard after a holiday. Good job! I need to do the same, I am getting squishy. I am hoping the puppy coming next month will get me more active also.

GayProf said...

I am so off the gym wagon right now. With all the driving, moving, etc., it has been easy (too easy) to justify not getting real exercise.

Like you, I am amazed by how little effort it takes to gain weight. I know that I don't eat the most nutritious of things, but I also don't feel like I spend all of my time in front of the refrigerator, either. Sigh

I hope red-headed boy takes the next dance class! In the meantime, there is always Harry Potter or Armistead Maupin.

tornwordo said...

But what did you order at Starbucks?

I hope the dance class is fun!

Doug said...

Those wine curls are sure to build muscle. ;)

I hope you're able to connect with strawberry blond.