Friday, June 29, 2007

Tea doesn't do it

Two cups, even with sugar and cream, doesn't help a hangover very much.
Book club went swimmingly last night, although it really should be the book/food/wine club. We drink A LOT when we get together. There were six women, and we went through...six bottles of wine (I just went and checked). Oh, and when we started this, we said, "Let's not get crazy. Just appetizers." However, each of us loves to cook, so it seems we keep upping the ante with our food. If we can, we try to make the food match the book we've just read.

So, I went Italian last night, with the "Love" section of Eat, Pray, Love, the book we all read.

And I must tell you, I did a fine job.

First, an Antipasto plate - feta-stuffed peppercinis, olives, hard-cured provolone, Asagio, and buffalo mozzerella cheeses. Salami and Pepperoni.

Then the salad - Arugula, dried cranberries, toasted pecans, crumbled gorgonzola with balsamic vinegarette.

Main course? Pasta Alla Checca - raw tomatoes, garlic, basil and olive oil with cooked spaghetti. One of my favorite summer dishes. Here's one recipe for it (although I used four cloves of garlic, not one). Parmesan isn't called for, but goes great with it.

Dessert was my proudest moment. I made Zabliogne with Raspberries and Blackberries. Have you not heard of it? I don't know why it's not more common. Here's the recipe:

5 large egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup dry or sweet Marsala wine
5 1/4 cups raspberries, blackberries, blueberries or quartered strawberries.

Combine the egg yolks, sugar, and Marsala in a bowl. Whip together, using a hand-held balloon whisk, until thoroughly blended. Place the bowl over a pot of simmering water and heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture is thick, foamy and has reached 165 degrees F.
Cool slightly and serve immediately or transfer the zabaglione to a container. Cover with plastic wrap placed directly on the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Zabaglione may be served warm or at room temperature. Serving Size: 1/2 cup zabaglione with 2/3 cup berries.

Oh my goodness it was tasty.
I think I must have gained back the 2.5 pounds I lost last week (yeah, I'm still going to Weight Watchers).

I did get my house clean. Well, most of it. My bedroom looks like a bomb went off in there, but I just closed the door. No need to go totally crazy with this tidiness business.

Because of it's rare state of cleanliness, I took a photo of the huge, former-kitchen-turned-bathroom to finally share with you all.

So much counter space! That window is actually level with the driveway outside, so I have to remember to close my windows on Wednesdays when the landlady's gardener comes. Why? Because they use one of those god damn ridiculous leaf-blowers, which blows grit and dirt directly into my bathroom. So gross.

I also took a picture of the closet. I think it used to be a pantry at one time, but can't tell. Who puts a closet in the bathroom? I fight mildew constantly, and so far have won.


My shoe problem on display for the whole world to see. Up top? There is a whole other layer of shoes behind the stacks of three in the front. I actually had more, but sold about 10 pairs at the garage sale a few weeks ago.

I don't have to host for another 6 months; yahoo! It's fun, but man, I was cleaning forever.

Sloth is a much more comfortable state for me :)

6 comments:

QT said...

A spicy bloody mary & a fried egg sandwich is my formula for the day after.

That menu sounds DE-LISH! No wonder you guys drank all that wine! At least you formed a base....

Doug said...

Hmm...books as a reason to eat and drink. And such delicious food! I love it!

Looking at your pics, I'd never have guessed you were a self-proclaimed sloth. Your bath and closet look impeccable. I agree about the closet in the bathroom. They're still building houses that way. Go figure.

Have a great weekend!

tornwordo said...

Omg I've never ever seen your bathroom clean AND tidy. Congrats.

Chunks said...

To fully impact your readers, you should include a before shot of the bathroom. I would have donated money to charity to see that!!

Gatorade for a hangover.

Oh and you single people and your flair for cuisine! I would have opened a can of spaghetti-o's and said "voila!"

GayProf said...

I love the feeling of having a clean bathroom.

Snooze said...

I love the number of shoes you have.