Tuesday, May 15, 2007

22 days (not that I'm counting).

Several of my boys have become infected with Eighthgrade-itis; they've just stopped doing any work at all. Surprisingly, most of them are my Honors students. I met with three different parents last week, all for kids who are going to flunk if they don't get it together. And still... nothing.

I'm not going to bitch right now though; I do enough of that.

Let me instead tell you about what happened right after second period today.

John Jacob Jinglehimer Smith (not his real name...) was absent yesterday. Back today on crutches. Seemed he'd broken his leg over the weekend, trying to jump off the roof into the pool, and missed. Glad it wasn't any worse.

Anyway, he's one of those whistling, tapping, commenting-on-everyone-else's-life kinda kids. Good student, but I'm rather tired of his antics by now. Today? Quiet as a mouse. Hobbling around on crutches with a cast up to one's mid-thigh in the middle of May is enough to subdue anyone.

The end-of-class bell rings, and the kids storm out the door. I'm getting papers together for the fourth time for Little Orphan Annie, who always has an excuse why she doesn't have her work and could she please have another one because she lost the first hand-out.

I hear a commotion, and look across the room. JJJS is yelling out the door, leaning on his desk. Seems that Gomer Pyle, another whistling goofball of whom I'm truly getting tired, had snatched JJJS's crutches and ran out of the room with them. Of course, I give chase.

Coming around the corner, this is what I see: Gomer is dramatically stumbling along with the crutches which are about 10 inches too short for him. The teacher next door, Aquarius (she really likes the tie-dye and Birkenstocks), is yelling at yet a third child, one who is thankfully not my student. Seems this third boy had snatched the crutches away from Gomer, causing Gomer to fall theatrically to the ground. Witnessing this, Aquarius couldn't believe her eyes. How could a person do that? Grab the crutches of someone who is hurt?

Behind her, Gomer was snickering at this poor boy who kept trying to cut in... "But Mrs. Aquarius... but he... he's not... I wasn't..." but Mrs. A was having none of it.

That is until I yelled Gomer Pyle's name, walked up to him, grabbed the crutches away from him, and told him to leave other people's things alone.

Please give me the strength to get through the next month.

5 comments:

Chunks said...

I know EXACTLY what you need for this time of the year.

A slingshot.

*Bows to the teachers of the world*

Anonymous said...

Since you're feeling down about not getting many responses, let me pipe up to say that this blog entry was very funny -- as was the incident that inspired it -- and very well-written. Thanks!

I don't envy you your job, though....

Snooze said...

I would go insane teaching them, but I love reading about the spirit of eighth graders. Too funny - so sick to steal the guy's crutches, but it's hilarious nonetheless.

tornwordo said...

Only two more weeks, take a deep breath.

Anonymous said...

OK, I admit it. I am terrible about leaving comments. I felt like I was being singled out! So here you go, I will try and be better about leaving a little note just to say hello. Sorry if I added to your bad day, kep your chin up, the year is almost over.

Take care-