Monday, May 14, 2007

Not so bad

So, I think the key here is to expect the worst.

The weekend and garage sale went better than expected. Oh, yes. I was the one putting up signs until dark on Friday night, and the one up at 5:30 am putting more signs out, getting coffee and bagels for everyone, and lugging out the tables and clothes and such...


But.

I made almost 100 bucks on stuff I was going to donate to the thrift store, so I can't complain.

Garage sale hunters are weird.

We made it clear in the ad, and the sign we posted on a rope across the driveway, that early birds weren't welcome. Guess folks can't read. And, guess some folks think by being rude and pushy, we'll back down.

Not me.

A guy parked, walked up, and said, "can I just look?" while we were still bringing stuff out. It was 7:40 am. I said cheerily, "Not yet sir. We aren't quite ready. Give us until eight."

"It's almost eight now," he said, with impatience in his voice.

Since when is 20 minutes "almost" the time?

Then, there was the couple of older ladies, who kept asking "how much?" and no matter what we said, then muttered "So expensive."


Yeah, three dollars for a pair of Puma shoes that have never been worn? Ten dollars for a silk Donna Karin dress that had been worn once and dry-cleaned? Really expensive. We decided to just keep upping the price if they kept being snotty.

After about 45 minutes of that, they bought one shirt.

And I love to haggle as much as the next, but sheesh. I was selling my old microwave, and said it was $15 when asked.

"How about $10?" was the next question.

"Okay," I said.

Then,

"How about $5?

What?

Who makes an offer and then lowers it?

But again, I'm just kinda laughing at myself here. I sold all kinds of clothes, and had more money in my pocket at the end of the day than I did at the start, so it's all good.

Hope your weekend was lovely.

6 comments:

Devo said...

You're right, garage sale shoppers are a bit of an odd bunch sometimes. And the whole early bird thing, that would bug me too. I am thinking of having one this year but I hate the work and all the haggling. Glad you made some cashola tho. Fun times, now you can buy some more shoes...

Snooze said...

I love how you handled the early bird guy. I'm glad it all turned out better than you had feared.

St. Dickeybird said...

I hate hagglers, and haggling.
I'd have been locked up by noon.
Glad you did well, and enjoyed it!

Lucia said...

Garage sale culture. Hey, one thing about it is that it's really only in North America where we'd even think of putting our used stuff out in the lawn, driveway or garage and selling it.

GayProf said...

It wouldn't occur to me to even be awake at 7:40 on a Saturday, much less hunting for a garage sale.

Given that you are always bringing everybody coffee/bagels/attention, I so want you to be my friend in real life.

Chunks said...

Garage sale people are WEIRD!! Probably seem tame though compared to your students!