Thursday, February 22, 2007

Thirteen Thursday # 4

And before I begin, D called last night! Yep, from the hospital. Sounds just like he always does, and called at 11:00 at night, which he always does (he has a hard time remembering that most folks sleep at that time). It was so good to hear his voice. He might be going home tomorrow. Still has a lot of healing to do, but... it's all looking so good right now. Thanks for all the good thoughts sent his way.

Thirteen things on my desk:

1. Vanishing Venus nail polish. It’s a really cool color; a brownish-red with a green shimmer. The shimmer doesn’t show so much when it’s on my nails. Okay, I know it sounds weird, but it’s pretty.

2. Teacher’s Edition of the 8th grade Holt Literature and Language Arts textbook. Five years ago we adopted new textbooks at our school. Because I was the department chair at that time, all the publishers sent me loads of free “inspection” copies of their texts. Which means now, I have my very own book to mark up and keep at home, and have another, official one at school. Makes things much easier when planning lessons.

3. A baby shower card I misplaced before my sister’s shower a couple of weeks ago. Whatever. I’m so done with her being pregnant. I know, I know, I’ll love the baby, be a great auntie, but my god, the world does not revolve around her big belly (I sound snotty, don’t I?).

4. A list of nine students who are missing at least six assignments in my class. I need to call their parents. Ugh.

5. Strawberry Shortcake roll-on perfume. Someone sent it to me, but I can’t imagine wanting to smell like that. I sometimes trade on makeupalley.com, and thought I might swap this.

6. A big green Christmas tree ornament. It has red flocking on it, and is lovely. A student gave it to me this year, but I didn’t put up a tree. It’s oversize, and when I was packing up the other decorations, I had no idea how or where to store it. So, here it sits.

7. Lifesavers. Mom always gives me a lifesaver book every Christmas. I have two Wild Cherry rolls left. I don’t like ‘em; tastes like Sucrets to me. Anyone want them?

8. Knox Original Unflavored Gelatine. Don’t ask. I have no fucking clue.

9. Maidenform Stay Put Fashion Tape. This stuff is fab. I am, how shall we say… not small up top. I have to be careful to avoid gaposis when wearing a shirt or dress that buttons. This tape solves the problem. It can be used to keep fabric close to the skin too; but I’m not the type to wear the deep-V tops.

10. Metal nail file. One never knows when one will need to smooth out a snagged nail.

11. Four used, AA batteries. From my SanDisk. I know it’s bad to throw the batteries into the regular trash, but I don’t know what to do with them! Help me.

12. Glass of Sauvignon Blanc. What, you think I drink English Breakfast tea when I’m composing?

13. A box of 25, PC Formatted, floppy disks from Staples. Really, really bright colors. Florescent, if you will. What the hell am I going to do with them now? My thumb drive covers it all. What’s going to be obsolete next?

7 comments:

GayProf said...

My favorite was the wine.

FYI -- When I was a young lad (like elementary school) I did a Science Fair project in which I tested all sorts of household products as potential plant-food. Knox Unflavored Gelatin really did great things for the house plants. Comet, however, not so much.

St. Dickeybird said...

I love cherry LifeSavers. And sucrets. Throw the batteries in the trash when nobody's looking. Lol, unflavoured gelatin???? What is that????

Doug said...

So glad to hear about D. I hope things continue looking up.

Mmmm...strawberry shortcake....*drool*.

Damn, now I'm hungry.

Turn those floppy disks into Christmas ornaments. Stick lifesavers to them, tie a little string to them, and bam! you got an edible ornament.

That's right: bam! ;)

Anonymous said...

It made me feel like I was hanging out with you knowing what is on your desk. Is that weird?

Doug's ornaments made me laugh.

I'm procrastinating reading my homework. Somebody make me stop....

Anonymous said...

I have almost all the same things on my desk. 'Cept I use Dr. Pepper Bonnie Bell chapstick. The lips you can't just kiss once LOL :)

Sometimes I wish I could tape up the boys, they have a tendancy to have a mind of their own. I'm thinking I should get myself some duct tape in flesh tone.
kb

Chunks said...

I didn't know you had big boobs! Congratulations!

My youngest sister had the longest pregnancy ever known to man and of course, she was the first woman to ever be pregnant so I can TOTALLY relate to that one.

My kids skipped their wild cherry lifesavers this year too. Good thing because I love them!

tornwordo said...

I always eat the cherry ones first! Those are my favorite. And I liked Doug's ornament idea.