Sunday, February 18, 2007

Ten Reasons Why I'm Glad I'm a Woman

  1. Clothing choices. I can wear a skirt, pants, shorts, capris... a dress, and no one lifts an eyebrow. It's all acceptable. Color is also no problem (such as the beautiful baby blue sweater shirt I gave Torn for his birthday a couple of years ago, which he promptly handed off to his spouse, who was then teased about the "gay" color of it the one time he wore it to work).
  2. Seating. I can sit at a movie theatre, on the aisle row on a plane, in a desk at work, and I don't have to keep my legs at a 90 degree angle to get air to my privates. I don't know why so many men have to sit that way at all times, just glad I don't have to.
  3. Speaking of privates: I'm glad my plumbing is all self-contained. Nothing hanging out there, all exposed and needing to be protected. Besides, mine is prettier than yours.
  4. And something else. I don't have to worry about being caught out if I'm... uh... you know...turned on. I can be subtle about it, and my body won't give me away.
  5. Crying. I cry when I'm happy, sad, angry, touched... at those commercials narrated by David Ducoveny about puppy food. I don't feel the need to "suck it up" and no one thinks less of me because of it. I think if men were allowed by society to cry, we wouldn't have near the problems with have with violence. Just my opinion here.
  6. I can carry life inside me.
  7. My body can feed another being.
  8. Women are more tolerant of pain. If men had the cramps I have every month, they would take to their beds and never get up again. I can feel shitty, and still keep up with my life.
  9. No one sees me pee when I'm in a public bathroom.
  10. I can scream if I see a mouse, and no one questions my femininity. I can tell my friends I love them, and no one questions my femininity. I can hold my friend's hand, or put my arm around her shoulder, and no one has to question if my motives are platonic or sexual. Bottom line? I really do think it's easier to be a woman in the Western world.

But.

I'm sure glad there's men in it.

8 comments:

Chunks said...

Because who else would we make fun of?!

heehee! Nice list, I enjoyed (and agreed and nodded) with everything on your list!

Lucia said...

Well, isn't this just a wonderful list! I'm happy about these things too.

Doug said...

You've got a lot of great points. The color thing bothers me sometimes. I like a piece of clothing, but don't buy it because I'd never wear it out of the house.

I gotta disagree with #3, though. And #4 can be fun! ;)

And when I scream when I see a mouse, no one questions my femininity either. Everyone immediately knows. LOL

tornwordo said...

Good job!

Snooze said...

You took up the Torn challenge! Well done. I love this list.

Anonymous said...

I agreed with your list too. Since I'll never get around to making my own that is nice.

GayProf said...

Don't forget the shoes. Women can buy decent shoes for little money. Men who pay little money for shoes end up with cheap shoes.

I am not sure that I see one set of genitalia as "prettier" than the other. I do have a personal preference, though.

Snooze said...

Gayprof: I have to disagree. The quality of shoes matters in either sex. Too many women wear cheap shoes. And it shows.