Monday, January 29, 2007

Music Downloads

Okay, I've had it with Rhapsody.

For the last few months it's been fun. I've been paying about 15 bucks a month to "rent" the music. Problem is, twice now I've lost the ability to play the music on my SanDisk. The only way to fix it is to erase everything on the mp3 player and start over. Very irritating, to say the least. And yes, I spent quite a bit of time researching it before I resorted to that.

So, I do not want to download music illegally (none of those Russian sites please), and I'm actually happy with the music rental stuff...just not Rhapsody. Itunes is out too; just as a matter of principle.

Am I being too picky? Perhaps. I don't mind paying the dollar or so if I really want to download something, but like the comedy stuff, I like to listen to it once, then I'm done. Most of the other music I listen to is just on the player anyway; it's not like I'm burning CD's or anything.

And while I'm being all technical, what is a good free program to download to convert CD's to mp3's? There are so many out there, and I can't tell which are good ones, which are bad ones and which are plain shite (practicing again for my Fulbright Exchange).

Thanks.

7 comments:

Chunks said...

I've never converted the MP3s before, I didn't know you could/should do such a thing. Don't you just rip songs from a CD onto your computer then rip them to your MP3? I just use Windows Media Player for all my ripping/burning needs. (Oh that sounded dirty!) Anyway, I stopped downloading music a while ago, so I can't even give you a tip as to where to go to get reputable d/ls. I used to go to KaZaa though. What I like to do is get discs from the library, spin them onto my laptop then if I like it, put it on my MP3. What I REALLY like to do though is go to Future Shop and spend a bunch on discs because I am a sucker for the liner notes! I am not much help.

tornwordo said...

We had this conversation. I have no advice. I like Pandora. It's free.

St. Dickeybird said...

You can rip CDs to MP3s with quite a few free programs. I use iTunes (boycotting?), Musicmatch works, I think Nero has a free one...

If you want a safe, clean illegal download membership, email me (i've got a great one!). I also occasionally buy from iTunes too though.
:)

Lucia said...

Hey, I'm here, but I've got nothing. So I guess this is kind of like leaving graffiti on the wall.

Snooze said...

Why the boycott of iTunes? I'm intrigued...

r said...

Chunks:
I've converted all my CD's to wma's, but I don't want to buy a bunch more CD's if I only want one or two songs. Plus, I don't want to increase my already huge pile.

Torn:
Pandora is nice, except I can't record anything from it.

SDB:
I know there's a bunch of programs out there, any good ones? anyones I should avoid? If there's a virus out there, I'll be able to find it with whatever I download if left to my own devices. And thanks, but I'm going to try and stick to the straight and narrow (remember the vanilla!) on the downloading.

Lucia:
Yes, but I love any and all comments (unless they're aren't nice. I don't want non-nice comments).

Snooze:
I boycott Itunes because I hate the proprietary nature of the whole Ipod, Iriver, Itunes thing. Silly probably, but I refuse to support it.

Doug said...

I'm totally on the same page with the iTunes/iPod thing. My bf used iTunes to rip all our CD's to mp3, but he didn't care about being "under their thumb," as it were. If I like a song, I generally just buy the CD.