Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Bad Hair

My highlights had taken over my head; I was dangerously close to one of those two-tone jobs from the 80's. Not that they weren't fabulous, but they were just fabulous 80's.

So, Monday, I go to my hairdresser (I think that's a word like pocketbook... only old ladies use it... I went to my Hair Stylist), and said I wanted to tone down the blonde. JJ has been cutting my hair for 15 years, and is also a friend. She thought and thought, put together a potion, and away we went.

You know those tabby cats with the orange-y red and cream colored stripes?

That was me. I hated it. She had tried to put highlights (why more?) and low lights into my hair. My hair decided to rebel, and just went orange on me. And the blonde parts and the orange parts were in perfect, symmetrical order. Looks great on an African animal of prey, not so good on me.

So, we made another appointment for yesterday, for her to "tone it down."

I really didn't have the time, but I went in.

Bad move.

My hair is not red. Has never been naturally red. I have, what you would call, an ashy tone to my real hair color.

But, when I fiddle with it too much, it shows me who's the boss.

It was supposed to be brown. Light, ashy brown. My real hair color. The highlights would show through, and it would be pretty and natural.


Middle-aged housfrau is what it ended up. Yes, it's shiny.

That's all I've got for the positive. It's red. Not bright red, not crimson red, but red nonetheless.
JJ said, "It's not red, warm, yes, but not red."

It's red. With no highlights. Red, short hair with no interest at all.

I hate it.

Hate it, hate it, hate it.

6 comments:

Chunks said...

This post is useless without photos. I really need a visual.

I have notoriously bad hair. I color it myself. And sometimes I chop it myself too. Hair stylists hate me. haha!

GayProf said...

Sorry about the hair-color issues. Probably it is not as bad as you imagine.

The other good thing is that hair always grows.

Doug said...

Bleach it! And then get some green, blue, and purple, add sparkles, and gel it into a porcupine-spikey look.

My bf dyes his hair. He's getting too much gray for his taste. I always want him to go really extreme, but he's chicken. Maybe I can live vicariously through you?

tornwordo said...

Exactly chunks. Photos are indispensable.

Lucia said...

Time to get a new hairdresser, er, stylist!

Snooze said...

Oh I was cringing just reading this post. That's just wrong at the price colouring costs. I would have been so upset.