Friday, December 22, 2006

A week off already

Well, I'm almost finished. Shopping, wrapping, oh-crap-I-forgot-that-person-and-now-I-have-to-go-back-to-the-goddamn-mall; you know, the joys of Christmas.

Yesterday, at Target, I was looking at those great big gift bags, the kind a child's bike can fit into? I've got a big present for a family member, and wrapping it is going to be a challenge.

They wanted $4.99 for a big plastic bag. Nope, cheapskate that I am, wasn't going to do it. Then, I saw a vinyl, Christmas-y tablecloth for $2.99. Really big, and reusable too. I bought it, and it worked wonderfully. The present is all wrapped up, the wrapping is a little extra gift, and nothing to throw away. Environmentally sound and all that.

I like using Christmas or winter-themed towels to wrap things in too. All that wrapping paper going to waste gets to me. Every year I scope out Ross for the cheap but cute towels... usually two for three bucks; but I have to go early. This year I bought them out before Thanksgiving. Some of my friends have quite a collection going at this point.

This dish towel idea wasn't mine originally. A friend of mine's been doing it for years. She also adds an ornament to the outside of every package. I don't go that far. Too much work for me.

Twelve Christmas cards actually got sent this year. Much better record than last year.

What are the little things you do every year at this time? Any traditions you've started?

5 comments:

GayProf said...

I like your environmentally friendly wrapping ideas. These had not occurred to me, but I think that I will consider them in the future.

Happy Holidays, Rebekah!

Doug said...

Wow, I love the reusable wrappings! Such great ideas!

No new traditions here. I should put some effort into starting some. Hope you have a Merry Christmas!

*hugs*

Anonymous said...

Is eating too much a tradition?

This post reminded me that I have a set of drums to wrap. Hmmm maybe I will just use a bow. What was I thinking anyway?

tornwordo said...

I love the dish towel idea. But you always wrap my gifts with paper.... We go ice skating on Christmas Eve. That's my only tradition. And it's selfish, lol.

r said...

But you see, dish towels are heavier to mail than wrapping paper.

Besides, shirts don't wrap easily in a dish towel. Maybe next year a bath towel?