Sunday, December 24, 2006

I was meaning to go to church this morning

but didn't make it. I do like the ritual and the message this time of year, even if it's hidden under the PILES of presents and commercials and lights and blow-up santas and snowmen on people's lawns.

If you are a liberal, and a Christian, you are suspect. Drives me nuts. Of course, just the act of calling oneself a "Christian" is loaded with meaning. I hate hate hate the way the neo-conservative, religious right has taken over that word to the point where I feel I have to explain myself (just as I am doing right now).

And yes, there are people who would say I'm not a Christian at all, since my views don't fit in with their views of what a Christian is, and since they have a direct line with god, and I don't, well, they know better than I do just what is the "right" way to believe.

The hardest thing for me is to be tolerant of other people's intolerance. Now that would be an accomplishment. Just not sure it's one I want to achieve.

There's so much fingerpointing, and "I'm right, which means you must be wrong," and actual hatred because someone is different from oneself. If we spent a fraction of that time on trying to just see things from another perspective -- if we spent just a few moments a day realizing we might not have all the answers, that there might, just possibly, be more than one way to the TRUTH, whatever that might be, maybe, just maybe...



Okay, got a little lofty there. Sorry. Here's a treat for those of you who are still with me. Watch this.

I copied it from the hot librarian. It's strangely addictive. I can't take my eyes off this woman.

Merry Christmas everyone.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's the fishnet dress. It's way cool and not a look that many can pull off! She is neat! Strangely hypnotic!

Merry Christmas to you too dear!

Doug said...

The hardest thing for me is to be tolerant of other people's intolerance.

Perfectly stated.

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas! *HUGS*

tornwordo said...

So true....Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Rebekah! I agree wholeheartedly with the rant! That is some crazy ass organ action there! She is contemplating making love to that damn thing I think. Too funny.
Hope you had a great day. Devo

Perplexio said...

I hope you don't mind, I stumbled over here to your blog via one of your comments on Dickeybird's blog.

Regarding the Christianity thing-- while I am fiscally conservative and was raised Republican and still kind of lean that way. I too quite loathe that the Christian faith has basically been stolen by the far right that has turned each and every presidential election into the crusades and has done more than their fair share to create divisiveness and conflict where once there was at least some semblance of tolerance, unity, and some willingness to compromise for the greater good.

Last I checked Jesus taught of tolerance, acceptance, and understanding. His covenant was a new one that said salvation wasn't/isn't limited to the Jews. It's sad/scary that today's religious leaders more cloesly resemble the Sanhedrin which condemned Jesus to his death than to Jesus whom they purport to claim as their saviour. Sadly, I consider the far right religious to be on the opposite side of the line which Jesus drew in the sand all those years ago.