Thursday, August 24, 2006

weary

Going from nothing to hours and hours of sitting and listening to someone else tell me how to do my job, while I'm kept from that very job, makes me sleepy.

The speaker today was great. Loved what he had to say. The wide-eyed pollyanna in me was saying "yeah! we can do this!"

The seasoned, and dare I say it, somewhat jaded, teacher in me, was saying "Yeah right. Like this will ever happen."

It's too bad. It was all about Professional Teaching Communities. Teachers of a subject get together, and decide, together, how to provide not only a rigorous curriculum for students, but how to create and maintain an atmosphere where failure is actually more difficult than success. The idea is that a 13-year-old doesn't have the right to choose to fail English or Algebra.

When? When are we going to meet? There are more meetings about the stupid GATE History show than there are meetings of eighth grade English teachers.

I shouldn't talk about it. I'm wiped out, and have another full day of trying to get things done on borrowed time tomorrow.

Did I mention I'm teaching an extra class this year? No prep period to call home, make copies, get a cup of joe... wait, I will have that wonderful 33 minute lunch. Plenty of time.

I love my job.

I just don't love it tonight.

2 comments:

tornwordo said...

Hope you get caught up today! Don't worry, you'll get settled into the new routine.

Chunks said...

Hey, it's the weekend! Yippee!!!

Enjoy it!