Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Movies

I love movies. I'm not particularly critical of most of them; some are like a full-course, steak dinner and some are like potato chips. I enjoy both the heavy and the light. Of course, just as there are foods I don't like (Brussel Sprouts, Okra, Olives, Whipped Cream, Coffee-flavored anything except coffee, and anything that lives under water), there are genres of movies I don't like either. Horror is one of 'em. I don't see the point in being grossed out and paying for it. I have friends that are great at grossing me out, and it's free. I don't like war movies, or sports themed movies too much, but there are exceptions.


Anyway, Friday I saw Capote, and last night I saw Transamerica. Both great films. Seeing Capote in the second-to-the-front-row really sucked, but there wasn't lots of action, so it could've been worse.

(Hey, maybe that should be my mantra, "Things can always be worse.")

I loved the portrayal of Truman Capote. A vile man, but not one without a conscience. My friend kept saying he was a monster, but I wouldn't go that far. Great thinking film.

Transamerica surprised me. Why wasn't this more talked about? It was good. Really good. The transgender part of it was secondary to the human interactions. I could see it again, just to see Felicity Huffman amaze me with her talent.

Now, both films are quite, shall we say, "talky." Those of you who want action or sex or violence, not the movies for you. They are quiet and elegant films.

I've rented Walk the Line; going to watch it tonight. Reese Witherspoon is going to have to do an unbelievable job to convince me she rightly won the Oscar instead of Felicity.

I'll get back to you.

2 comments:

tornwordo said...

Those sound good, I'll have to get renting, or downloading. Let us know about walk the line.

chella said...

Saw _Crash_ and _Harry Potter_. Not a very active film year though the two you mentioned are high on my wish list. ttys, c