Sunday, March 12, 2006

Walking shoes

Yesterday I drove to Ventura to try and find some clothes that fit. My friend, Ariana from school, came with me for moral support. I told her I wanted to find: mock turtlenecks, polo shirts, pants that fit and a dress to wear when I go to the Opera house in Paris.

I was fairly successful too.

The dress I found was a total score. I tried on about ten dresses, and four of them fit. That, in and of itself, was a miracle. The Macy's here in town doesn't have much in the way of dresses, and all that are my size are Mother-of-the-bride, flowing, glorified sack dresses. I'm a normal size 16 now, no longer in the "Woman's" section, and I want a dress that at least looks like I chose it for more than just fitting me.

It's off the shoulder, black, with a few sprinkles of beads and a cool little pleated detail. I'm not taking a picture of it for you right now because it doesn't look as good hanging on the hanger, and I'm not talented enough to take a picture of myself wearing it. You'll just have to wait until I wear it (only two weeks now!). And the score? It was originally $149, marked down to $54, plus I had a $15 dollar off coupon. Whoo hoo! I got it for less than 40 bucks. Jones New York, no less. Very proud I was.

Then, got two pairs of pants at, of all places, Sears. One's black, sorta velvety, but more like corduroy(I never know how to spell that damned word) without the wale. They're jean styled, so they aren't fancy shmancy. The others are cuffed trousers in denim. Very sharp. The price? Both were $11.99. Yea! I have pants now for my trip.

Then, got three long sleeved polo shirts from Kohls for $7.99 each. I love polo shirts. I'm always looking for them. They look more polished than tee shirts under sweaters, but not as fussy as button-down shirts I have to iron. My friend Katrina says every time I go shopping, I'm "looking for a nice polo shirt" and maybe it's true. Anyway, it was still a score.

I even bought a very Vegas-y halter top for my trip this summer with Tornwordo. That I will take a picture of. Just a minute. Okay. I just took it. Of course, I don't know how successful I will be in posting the picture in the middle of my post. I haven't mastered that yet. So, if there is a picture of an outlandish halter top above this post as a separate post, now you know why.

Before you start gagging at my clothing choice, I'll have you know that I bought it only for Las Vegas. I would never where it here in town where people know me, unless it was for a Halloween costume. And, again, it was a steal. Only $6.99. I tried it on as a joke, but it actually looked rather sexy, in a flashy, obnoxious sort of way.

Lastly, I tried on some Dansko shoes I've been eyeballing for some time. They're called the "Megan" and they are very comfy. I want some good walking shoes when we go to Paris, and for when I'm back here for teaching. Danskos are always really comfortable, but expensive. Frustrating because the 38's were too small and the 39's too big. I'll try again at the leather store here in town.

Okay, so my rant about not liking shopping? Disregard that. I'm back.

2 comments:

tornwordo said...

Only in Vegas, is that fashionable. Good work rewardrobing.

chella said...

hey, when do u fly out for paris? steph and i want to get together with u, maybe get the totems together. see you wed. c