Sunday, March 05, 2006

I never thought I'd see the day when I'd think shopping wasn't fun

But yesterday? Not fun.

I spent the afternoon at Robinson's May and Ross (complete with screaming babies, careening toddlers, loud youngsters, messed up racks, and rude people). I came home with a pair of hoop earrings, a brown dressy sweater, and a pair of plaid pants. I bought the pants because I can wash them and dry them in the machine, and they fit, and they were cheap. I wasn't thrilled though. I'm trying to think ahead to my trip, and what clothes I'm going to bring. Very limited choices here.

As my close friends know, I'm very picky about the clothes I wear. Not that I need a designer label, but that I find all kinds of reasons why I don't like something. Let's see if I can list a few:

Acrylic - It doesn't keep me warm if it's cold out, yet makes me sweat if it's pleasant weather. It pills and looks cheap.

Backless slides/heels - I'm a klutz. These make me fall down.

Crewnecks (shirts or sweaters) - Make my face look fat. I prefer V-necks. but not:

Deep V-necks - I've got a big chest. If I wear something that's low-cut, it's not sexy, it's skanky.

Rayon - This stuff doesn't wash well. Even if the label says it can be machine washed, it can't. Looks worn out after one or two cycles.

Ramie - this crap is a cheaper imitation of Rayon. And it itches.

Linen - The wrinkled look? Just looks unkempt to me. Also itches.

Animal prints - I always think of Peg Bundy from Married With Children.

Applique - There's nothing else to say about this one.

Fussy strings, ties, buttons - if it takes longer than 10 seconds to figure out how to put it on in the dressing room, it's not coming home with me.

Cap sleeves - also make me look fat.

Super-low cut jeans/pants - along with bare midriffs, only junior high school students look good in these. And of those, only those with flat stomachs.

So, there's a few of my reasons for being "picky." How many do you agree with? Any to add for yourself?

4 comments:

damcgeoy said...

Turtlenecks,how do you feel about them? Cowboy/girl wear, can't see that one either. Fur, fake or real?

tornwordo said...

I'm a t shirt and jeans kind of person. cotton. What else do I need to know?

r said...

Turtlenecks... I always have to get used to them again each winter; prefer mock turtlenecks myself. Cowboy wear is fine, if it's not overdone. Fur should be fun and fake.

Torn... but don't you have favorites? softer or thicker or something?

r said...

em, I love you.

I don't care too much what others think of me... most of the time.