Friday, November 11, 2005

See, Autumn happens here too...


The sad little persimmon tree in our backyard is doing all the fall foliage work around her. I took this picture last night. It wasn't as dark as it seems, but my camera is not the best one in the world.

I have a headache this morning; probably from the second glass of red wine I had last night. I watched the George Carlin special on HBO. I like him. He's smart and grouchy. But, he even got me a bit uncomfortable with what he was talking about (suicide, murder, nechrophelia and more). I'm not the kind of person that gets uncomfortable, but some stuff just isn't funny to me.

He did point out that we are the only species that does this crazy stuff. "Nit wits and Assholes" is how he described humans at one point. Sums it up well. He also talked about how everytime someone says we should love each other and try to get along, we kill him. Jesus, Ghandi, Martin Luther King Junior... the list went on.

Jonathan Swift said a long time ago, "We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love each other."

It's still true.

For me, it goes back to a conversation I had with my crazy aunt once when I was 15. We were outside, picking Boysenberries, and she had just explained how she was going to become a "breathatarian" (that's someone who doesn't need to eat, who gets all their nutrients from the air), and I was again thinking what a weirdo my aunt was. This was during the Reagan years, and we were once again pissing off most other nations.
"You know Becky, all you have to do is get right with yourself. All anyone has to do is get right with themselves. There would be no war, no fighting, no real trouble if we were all able to do that."

Even with its oversimplification, it rang true. I've been trying to "get right with myself" ever since.

ps: She never quite made her goal of Breathatarianism.

1 comment:

tornwordo said...

How come I don't remember all these weirdo aunt stories? Have you been hiding them? Tell us more about her.