Sunday, October 30, 2005

Daylight Savings


I'm sure lots of other folks are posting about this right now. I'm 41 years old, and I can never remember if it's Saturday or Sunday night that the time changes. I get the "Spring forward, Fall back" bit; that's no problem. I just am always confused on the Sunday after the change.

So, I called Katrina and asked her. And found out it was 7am, not 8am, like I thought. Oops.

I feel very accomplished this morning. I've done two loads of laundry, washed the dishes, made a Better-Than-Sex cake (yeah, we'll see about that), and started a pot of low fat chili (using soy ground crumbles, which are supposed to taste just like ground beef. Again, we'll see). Oh, and I've taken out the trash.

All before 8:30.

Let me tell you about the cake. I found it on a recipe site linked to Weight Watchers. It sounds pretty good, and since I have to take a treat to my writer's group meeting, I thought I'd try it. I'm breaking one of my rules however; I usually never bring food I've made if I haven't tried it out beforehand. I have a small list of specialties, and I try to stick to those.

Ah, but WW has changed all that. I have to try to bring food I can actually eat. Did you know that a small, unbuttered bag of popcorn at the movies has an average of 573 calories? And even without butter, 35 grams of fat? sheeeeeet. That would be 14 points, which is more than half of my daily allowance! (yesterday I made Smart Pop popcorn at home and snuck it in. Only 4 points. And much cheaper, I might add).

Okay, so here's the cake recipe. Get:
one box of devil's food or chocolate cake mix
10 ounces of diet Coke (I used diet Vanilla Pepsi)
1 egg white

Mix it all together and pour into a 9x13 inch greased pan. Bake at 375 for 25 minutes until a knife stuck in it comes out clean.

During the last few minutes of baking, combine in a small pot:
7 ounces of fat free sweetened condensed milk
6 ounces of fat free caramel ice cream topping

heat until just blended.

After taking the cake out of the oven, poke holes all over the top. (I used a fork, and the holes weren't really big enough. Next time I'll use a chopstick). Then pour the caramel mixture over the cake, filling up the holes.
Then, if you can believe it, put
1/2 bag of Heath or Skor bits all over the top.

Let cool.

Now, the recipe says to "frost" the cake with non-fat cool whip, but I hate cool whip. I'm just leaving it off. The non fat stuff is very weird anyway.

makes 24 servings at 3.5 points each.

Hooray.


You can do stuff with other cake mixes too. You know, use diet Sprite or 7-up for a lemon cake, or Ginger ale with Spice cake. Lots of things.

I'll let you know how it all turns out.

2 comments:

tornwordo said...

I was up at five am. Seemed like it was 6. Can't wait to hear about the cake results. 24 servings sounds like little pieces of the cake.

r said...

VEERY good cake.

And it's so rich, the little pieces (about 2x2 inches) are really good.

And, folks like you, who don't have to worry about losing weight, could always have a second or third piece!