Friday, August 24, 2007

A respite

You know how you can be dog tired, but still want to go out? That's me.

Not going to happen though, since most of my friends are just as beat as me from this last week.

Due to all kinds of difficult circumstances, the English department at my school got... I have to say it... fucked this year.

Every single one of us has had our schedule changed from Tuesday to today. Most of us have had more than one schedule change.

"You're going to be teaching seventh grade honors."

"No wait, instead you'll be teaching a split schedule of seventh and eighth grade."

"Okay, we won't do that. Now we would like you to teach only eighth grade, but the ESL classes, and the gifted classes."

"Alright, here's another change. We'll move the classroom you're in to the old wood shop. You can share it with a history teacher. I know, it's messy, but you have at least three hours today to clear our the 30 years of stuff left behind."

Gah.

My schedule itself didn't change too much. However, we actually hired someone today. Yeah. It's such a long story, and I'm not sure I want to get into it here (you know, there are people who know me in real life that also know about this blog), but I was the one making copies and lesson plans and so on for this teacher that didn't even exist until today.

Oh, and in the middle of all this? I have a student teacher I'm supposed to be mentoring.

I'm going to be preoccupied for a while, so don't worry if I'm not posting too much. I'm still reading your blogs!

4 comments:

tornwordo said...

How about "no teacher left behind" as also being important? Geez. Get some rest this weekend.

Chunks said...

They don't work out "what you'll be teaching" before now?! That's insane. I seriously have so much admiration for the teachers! I know I am always saying so, but it's really, really true. Who would sign up for a job that is so damn hectic? Obviously, someone who wants to make a difference in a kid's life.

Or someone who wants summers off.

HA! I'm kidding!!

Rest up, girl, you've got a long haul until Christmas break!

GayProf said...

Wow -- I can't believe they don't fix the schedule until a week before classes start. We know at least a full semester ahead (my new university even plans a full year ahead).

Have a cocktail and watch some really junky t.v. (or read a junky novel (but do have the cocktail)).

chella said...

sounds frustrating & exhausting! like you, interesting stuff happening at sbcc.

working on the second lit crit on a poet for my first packet due friday.

ttys, c

ps miss you!