Thursday, August 30, 2007

Muscle Relaxants

That's what the doctor, excuse me, nurse practitioner, gave me yesterday.

What for? Spasms. I've got muscles spasming in my neck, and have had them doing so for the last month. Yesterday was the worst day yet.

After the x-rays, he came back in and asked had I ever had surgery on my neck?

"Uh... no.?"

"Huh. How about your back? Have you ever had surgery on your back?"

"No. Why?"

"That's weird."

I got a little panicky... "Why? Why's that weird? What's wrong?"

He said he needed to check something,and left me there. Very strange. My neck is killing me, I've gone through about 500 Advil in the last four weeks, and now the person I'm seeing in the doctor's office has run out of the room.

Turns out, after he consulted with a real doctor, it appears I am one of the lucky few that have Klippel Feil Syndrome. Two of my vertebrae are fused together. It's not what is causing the muscle spasms in my neck, but it sure is interesting. Considering I'm 43 years old and have just learned about it, I'm not too worried.

So, I've been prescribed muscle relaxants, but can't take them during the day. They are working, when I take them, but school's been a bit of a challenge this past week.

Also, on a complete tangent? There's something in my computer room that smells like mildew, but I can't find it. We've had the driest summer imaginable, so for the life of me, I cannot fathom what it might be.

I'm getting punchy.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you have a whole syndrome and you didn't even realize it. That's amazing. I don't think of you as having a short neck or low hairline... do you have any kidney involvement? Oh, and what would cause the kidneys to be involved along with the cervical vertebra? I love medical mysteries...

I'm really sorry about your neck muscles though. Once again, if I was closer I would give you a massage.

tornwordo said...

But that's not what's causing the pain? So what was the point in alarming you like that?

The week is almost done, how many more until Christmas vacation?

QT said...

I am so sorry - I've been dealing with neck issues with the BF all summer, and I know how draining it can be to have that kind of pain.

This isn't meant to sound trite, but are you exercising or doing yoga at all? It really helps.

And WOW I can't believe you have a syndrome and didn't know it! I agree, the way you were informed was shitty.

GayProf said...

I am sorry to read about the pain and fused spinal stuff. At least muscle relaxants will allow you to sleep.

It's also the weekend. That's something...

chella said...

the neck pain sounds awful! but no connection to kfs? i agree with torn about the medical alarm!

sooo glad labor day's here. mailed my first packet this morning!

btw, i'll email you a flyer for ted night in beverly hills!

love, c

Lucia said...

Hell, the 40s is when all this medical crap starts to get discovered. The pain and spasms sound awful. But I'd think muscle relaxants would make you sluggish and sleepy? (Which is fine when you're not teaching, but...)

JR's Thumbprints said...

Interesting diagnosis. I reminded about the time I visited a chiropractor. After working on me for a little while, he asked, "Were you in a car accident?" My answer, "No. Why do you ask?"