Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Annoyed I am

So, I'm on the computer, futzing away, and my cell phone rings. I don't catch it in time. Don't recognize the number. Figure whoever it is will leave a message. She does. It's Mary, the trainer from the gym.

Oh yeah people, I'm going whole hog on this (interesting choice of metaphor, don't you think?) get back into shape thing. Last Sunday I went in to the gym and laid down $405 for five training sessions. "Mary" was supposed to call right away to set up the first appointment.

Today's Wednesday.

Anyway, she called at 10:01. I got the message at 10:02. I called back at 10:03. And, get this, "Oh Mary? She just left."

What?

Did she leave a message and then just throw the phone at the desk as she ran out the door? I mean really. And, it's not like she was on her own phone, because the number she called from was the gym's number (caller ID rocks).

I don't like starting out annoyed. Which I am. I wanted to get this going and solid before school starts, which is on the 21st of August this year (ugh). I should just go and change trainers right now. March myself down to the gym and do it.

I left a rather grumpy message on her voice mail.

Man.

The last time I signed up for a personal trainer, I got hard-core dude. He was pissed he had to deal with a goofy girl like me, and talked to me like I was a big blob. No laughter, no smiles, just boot camp. Kept telling me how I was "soft" and had to push myself. Shame might work on some folks but it just gets me angry. I know I'm overweight, but I also know I'm not going to row for the Olympic team. I just want to get in shape.

I'm going over to the fucking gym right now.

Grr.

Update:
Well, I went to the gym. Asked when Mary would be in. "Uh... I'm not sure..." was the answer. I explained how I wanted to get started with a training schedule before school started and that it seemed Mary was pretty busy. He gave me the notebook with the different trainer's schedules and openings.

Mary? Didn't have a single opening this week or next week. Nothing. Oh, it wasn't full or anything; she just wasn't taking any appointments. Perhaps that information could have been passed on to me? Just a thought? They sure wanted my money Sunday.

So, I went to an Afro-Brazilian dance class, and nearly passed out (actually, it was pretty fun, and one thing I can do is shake my booty), and afterwards talked to Jose, the sales director who was the one who got me started on all this in the first place. "Oh yeah, we'll get you hooked up with someone else. Yeah, you need to get started this week. Oh, I hear you."

Uh huh.

Someone is supposed to call me.

I'm not holding my breath.

7 comments:

Doug said...

Yikes, that seems like a lot of money. And then to be treated like that. Yeah, definitely get another trainer. Possibly get a different gym.

I don't do shame-as-motivation, either. I hate it when people try that shit on me.

GayProf said...

I am with Doug. Consider a different gym. Or at least tell the gym that you are thinking of leaving because they aren't providing the services that they promised.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that shame as motivation is hateful.

The dance class sounds fun. I'm noticing a theme there for sure.

Chunks said...

Get your money back then go take a few kick-boxing classes. Then go back. heheh.

Fuckers.

CoffeeDog said...

Something about Mary.....ho just threw down the phone and RAN out of the gym :-)

Hope you find a trainer before school. I've been thinking about getting a trainer too, fatty that I am.

Devo said...

Is your money even refundable? Often these gyms are not very good about that. Make a "bit" of a fuss about it, not too much, and see what happens. A few sessions for weight training are a great way to start and then keep up those fun group fitness classes, they are such a great way to stay motivated, since they tend to be fun. Good for you!

tornwordo said...

That's ridiculous. They've got no problem selling the product, but loads of problems actually delivering it. Sounds like a furniture store.