Tuesday, April 03, 2007

A Good Day

I got up early today, got a load of wash going before 7 am. At 7:19, I got a phone call.

This friend and I used to walk our dogs together almost every weekend, and most every day during the summer. Then her dog died, and my friend took it hard. She didn't want to walk with me and Charlie-Boy; too painful.

She's been having a tough time all around this year, and I've seen her outside of school maybe just once or twice (and like gayprof, when I say "year" I'm always referring to the academic calendar).

Imagine my surprise when she suggested we go walk with the wonderdog at a new park that's been created nearby. We met at The Daily Grind, sat and drank our coffee and talked and talked. Went to the new park and walked and talked and talked. Stood by our cars and talked some more. Walked around the park a second time and kept talking.

At 11:45, we decided to go to The Brewhouse (place of oh-so-delicious homemade potato chips covered with melted Gorgonzola), and eat and talk some more.

It was great.

This Spring Break has not been the best, but today made up for it a little. I'm lonely, and most of my teacher friends are away on some fun kind of trip. I'm here, doing laundry and cleaning my bathroom. Three different people I've called haven't seen fit to call back. It hurts, because I know all of them check their cell phones, which means they just chose not to call back.

The Fulbright exchange was going to shake my life up, in a good way... but now it's not.

And I'm still here, a little adrift, trying to figure out what I need to do to meet people.

Today was a good day.

4 comments:

tornwordo said...

A walk in the park with Charlie boy. Sounds divine. I have taken Sara out the last three weekends, but she starts limping before we make it to the park, so we have to come back home.

Anonymous said...

That sounds so great.

GayProf said...

Sometimes those old friends appear when we are feeling the most lonely.

Chin up, little trooper! The great thing about life is that we never know what might happen from day to day. Granted most of our days look the same. Yet, on occasion, we get surprised.

Doug said...

Days like that are precious, just what the doctor ordered. I hope you have more of them.