Sunday, March 25, 2007

Shh...

Okay, so I'm at my sister's right now, stealth blogging.

She truly is overwhelmed, and yes, she brought it on herself, but if I can help out, just a bit, it's better for my little, beautiful, princess niece.

Sister is napping; Ethel was up every hour on the hour, screaming her tiny lungs out, making herself known. They're both asleep now. I've been to Von's, Starbucks, and taken Gargantua for a half hour walk already. I asked sister when was the last time he actually got taken for a walk -- she said "probably the last time you walked him."

That was in November people! My mom and I have been trying to get her to hire a dog walker; this guy is 75 pounds and an Australian Shepherd. He needs activity, and he's not getting it. Might be why he tries to chomp on Charlie? Barks like he's going to kill whomever comes to the door?

Sister said to me today when I brought it up again, "Nope. I'm not going to hire a dog walker, I don't want a dog walker."

Okay, so she's sleep deprived, but still.

I feel bad if I don't walk the wonder dog for an hour a day, and he's a little lazy boy.

Anyway, I have to go. I guess I bought the wrong things at Target yesterday, and have to return them. I also wasn't told I needed to buy milk when I went to Von's so I have to go back there too.

Oh, and right before I left the house yesterday? I got a thick FedEx package from the Fulbright people.

They're sending me to Hungary.

7 comments:

Snooze said...

Hungary? Cool! man, you are going to have such a great experience.

I didn't get a chance to comment yesterday but I read the post and it wasn't out of line at all. I have gone through some similar emotions/events with my own family or friends. Your niece is going to have the funkiest aunt ever though - who introduces her to poetry and sends her gifts from Hungary!

Anonymous said...

I don't think your rant needs to be excused, I think it needs to be acted on. I mean, it's clear that things are out of balance if she is expecting you to go back to the store to get something she forgot to add to the list. She is only going to treat you the way you let her treat you.

I'm saying this out of love, hon. It's so hard, but setting boundaries is so rewarding. I'm passionate about it because I remember how I felt when people were running over my boundaries and I was letting them and then feeling resentful. You couldn't pay me enough to go back to that.

And now I will stop hijacking your blog with my therapy rant.

Chunks said...

Hungary!!!! OMG!!!

Do they get snow there? Are you taking Charlie-boy? OMG! No wonder you're all "my sister isn't so bad", you are going to HUNGARY!! Wow!!!

You are going to Hungary. When? How long? Oh my! I'm excited and nervous for you!

Doug said...

OH MY F**KING G*D! HUNGARY!!! WOO HOO!!! Oh, right, sshhhh. Yay!

Two other comments:

1. I have read that ending a sentence with a preposition is fine if doing it the other way would sound too confusing or pretentious. Don't tell your students that, though.

2. You're entitled to rant (and not just because it's your blog). Take care of yourself.

Super-mega-congrats on the Fulbright!

tornwordo said...

Hang in there, only a couple days to go at sister's place. I would say woo-hoo to Hungary, but I know this presents a dilemma for you.

More stealth blogging please.

GayProf said...

What is the dilemma with Hungary? I think it sounds like a wonderful adventure!

Not ending in a preposition can be difficult -- especially if you want your writing to emulate daily speech (where we often end in prepositions).

You know what GayProf always says about family: "Can't live with them, can't shove them in a trunk and drive them over a cliff."

Devo said...

Oh Rebekah, where to start? That is very wonderful news that you get to go somewhere so incredible! And it is kind of you to be there for your sister in her time of need. However, she made her own choices and she is the person who needs to live them. It is not your job to make her life ok for her, you can only make your own life ok for you. I agree with Em and Chunks wholeheartedly. And avoiding conflict is likely the main reason you are doing this, but it is always at a cost to your relationship with her. Truly it is. Food for thought. I want to hear more about Hungary and the dilemma, oooh so intriguing! Devo