Monday, December 11, 2006

Dad Called Last Night

He doesn't usually call me unless he's forgotten my birthday.

Seems his wife was in Wisconsin last week, seeing to her elderly (in their 90's!) parents. Dad was out in the garage, puttering around at six o'clock one morning(He's where I get that early riser thing).

Anyway, he locks himself out of the house. So, what does he do? Climb in a window? Call a locksmith? Oh no. that would be too easy.

No, my 71-year-old dad, who's not so...uh... coordinated anymore, decides to climb up into the attic from the garage access, shimmy his way across the two by fours and make his way to the master bedroom where there is a trap door to the attic in the closet.

Yeah, he didn't quite make it. Came crashing through the ceiling, fell on the floor, and landed on his feet.

He didn't get hurt at all! Didn't hit his head, didn't break a bone, wasn't even bleeding.

He brushed himself off, and went back out to the garage to finish up what he was doing.

Gah.

Crazy old man.

It gets me too. Not that I want anything bad to happen to him, but he's basically a shitty person, and he's asking for trouble, and he just swooshes right through. Yet my friend, David, as flaky as he can be, is a very good person, and loves his children, and has never smoked a day in his life, and this horrid thing happens.

I will slap the next person that says "things happen for a reason."

Anyway, I got a laugh out of my dad's adventures. I pointed out that if any of us kids had done anything so stupid (and caused so much damage) we would've been grounded forever. He agreed, but said he wasn't a teenager, and it was his house, and if he wanted to fall through the ceiling, then it was his right.

It was a nice phone call. I haven't had many of those with him in the last ten years.

4 comments:

tornwordo said...

It's nice that he called. I'm impressed.

Anonymous said...

I'd fall over dead if my dad called me.

Unfortunately bad things happen to good people. It would be nice just once if something awful happened to someone awful just to even it out a bit. It's hard to be a witness to the unfairness of life some times.

GayProf said...

As much as we wish that it were not so, horrible things often happen for no reason at all. Trust me, I want to live in a fair universe. Yet, we are surrounded by incidents where the mean-spirited trollop off happy and content while kind people suffer unnecessarily.

I mean, if the universe was fair, George Bush should not be living in the White House.

Doug said...

I personally don't believe things happen for a reason, so I see no reason for David's illness. Fairness and justice are artificial constructs.

As for your dad, "It's my house and I'll fall through the ceiling if I want to." I don't think I've ever heard anything so ridiculous! Well, maybe.... ;)