Thursday, November 30, 2006

It's so weird to be this nervous

I am petrified that I won't be able to find the place where I'm interviewing. It's at University Hall, Cal-State Fullerton. I've never even been to Fullerton. I have to get to the place, then find the right parking area, then find the building, then find the room. Argh.

Toyed with the idea of getting a hotel room close by, but decided against it. Instead, I'm borrowing my mother's car, bringing Charlie-boy to a friend's house, where I hope he won't make a... you know... mess, drive to Sherman Oaks, try to sleep, get up, get ready, leave by 7 o'clock, and figure out my way.

The interview is at 9 o'clock, and they suggest getting there half an hour early. God.

Most of these interviews are only 30 minutes long. So much drama for so little time. And so much riding on that little time.

However, I found out just tonight,that I can take Charlie with me after all! Whoo hoo! There are some hoops I have to jump through with him, but still, the wonder-dog will not be left behind! Most of you might think I'm a little over-the-top with him, but he's my family right now. I don't have a husband or boyfriend or girlfriend or children, just my puppy. I don't go crazy with silly accessories or expensive toys or treats... but I do love him. And now, one less thing to worry about if I get chosen.

Think good thoughts Saturday morning for me. I'll let you know how it turns out.

8 comments:

Doug said...

Do you have time to go there today? Find it before you have to? I don't know how far it is, so if this is a bad suggestion, you get one free punch if we ever meet.

And they say you must be there 30 minutes early. They don't say you can't be there 2 hours early. Bring a book. Eat breakfast. Meditate.

Bring extra clothes to change into in case you spill something. Or wear grubbies and change in the restroom before the interview. Or both.

That's awesome you can take Charlie with you! It never occurred to me you wouldn't be able to. I so understand the relief you feel.

You got my happy thoughts for Saturday. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Fortunately, you're taking the test at a university. And luckily, universities have campus maps. And auspiciously, you have an Internet connection and therefore can snag one of those campus maps well in advance of your test date!

Don't worry about the test, though: you're undeniably unique, obviously intelligent, and admirably in love with your dog. You'll knock 'em dead, Rebekah!

St. Dickeybird said...

Get there extra early
And being happy to be able to keep Charlie is normal. Pets are family too.
Good luck!

r said...

Doug: Heh... I don't want that punch, but Fullerton is 130 miles away. Almost 50 from the friend's house where I'm staying tonight.

Jamiquira: I think I know who you are...hmm.

St. Dicky: Reading over what I wrote, it sounds like I'm excited to take Charlie to the interview. I meant that he could come with me to the UK. There used to be a minimum three-month quarrantine of all dogs and cats. I was thinking I didn't want to put him through that. Now I don't have to!

GayProf said...

As long as your not making wear matching outfits with you, I don't think you need to apologize for loving Charlie. Do people think loving their animal is odd?

Good luck with the interview. I always stress about getting lost and such things. It will all work out. :-)

GayProf said...

oops, I, of course, mean "you're" not "your." That god I got that Ph.D.

r said...

Gayprof:

"that god"

oh, you make me smile.

Anonymous said...

Hm. I have a husband and children and today I bought my dog a Santa outfit and some stocking stuffers. Does that make me loony? heehee

You will do fine and I have to agree with Doug, there is nothing saying you can't be there extra early. It's not like you will sleep tonight anyway. Break a leg kiddo, you'll be fine!