Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Doggy Sitting

Isn't anyone going to be here during Thanksgiving?

I'm going to New York for the week; first to see a friend in the city (I'll see my first honest to goodness Broadway show!) and then on to Albany where another friend and her family live. Actually way out in Schoharie... about 40 miles away. A beautiful place, and I've never been there in the fall.

Problem is, Charlie-dog.

My friend, Greta the Grouch's owner, is who would usually take care of him, but they're traveling over the holiday. My mother is not one to even ask, since she gets worried he might bark even when I take him over there for a few hours.

So yesterday I called the Kelly Kennel. I've taken him there before, and it's pretty good as far as kennels go. She actually runs it on her home property. The dogs get to run around, and Charlie gets to sleep inside a mud room with the other little dogs, instead of outside in the actual kennels. But, here's the kicker.

My friend Anna (Greta's mom) can take Charlie for the first four and a half days I'm gone. I know Charlie's much happier with her if he has to stay somewhere without me. But, Kelly, the kennel owner, said that she's only taking dogs for a week, not for just a few days. She can make more money that way. I get it, but what a drag. She's already raised her prices because of the holidays.

It's not like I have a lot of time to find another place either. Places are filling up.

What to do? What to do?

5 comments:

tornwordo said...

That sucks. Maybe your sister or that lesbian couple you know could help out?

Doug said...

:( Wish I could help. Hope you find someplace soon.

St. Dickeybird said...

I'd love to house/dog sit for you in california for a week, but my boss and wife (separate people!) probably wouldn't be into that.

GayProf said...

Too hard to travel with him?

Chunks said...

Send him to the kennel, then you will have peace of mind. There is nothing worse than being across the country and being worried about your pet.