Friday, August 11, 2006

Yesterday? At the Santa Barbara Airport?

At 5 am?

Very interesting situation.

I had no idea what had happened in London, being that I was packing and then sleeping.

Lines out the door, angry people refusing to throw away their $59 bottles of Estee Lauder foundation, bags being checked by hand and piling up in mountains.

Good times.

We were first told "There was a terrorist attack in London last night, so we are at code orange now. No liquids or gels of any kind will be allowed on the plane with your carry-on luggage."

Okay. I end up squatting on the floor (the SB airport is so small, it actually could be mistaken for a hotel), and start the rearranging. My waterbottle hadn't been opened yet, so into the big suitcase it went. I had a bottle of wine I was bringing out to Kevin... I've never packed a bottle of wine in checked luggage... I risked it.

It was expensive!

Next went in the make-up... no biggie there. Then my mini bag of toiletries. You know, the toothbrush, deoderant, lotion, etc. my mother always told me to carry on in case my regular luggage got lost? All of it had to be packed or tossed. Lipgloss? I asked about it.
"Lipgloss is okay." I was told. I overheard a mother being told that she could bring juice or milk in a baby's bottle, but anything else had to be thrown out.

Next, we check in at the counter. Then drop off our bags to be checked. Like I said, SB airport is so small that they have to handcheck everything. That's fun. So there's my bag, under a pile of other bags, in the middle of the airport. I watch as people's items are moved around, and rubber-gloved hands rummage around in folks undies and dress slacks.

Then, the line for the Gate (at this point, I'd acquired a large Mocha, and was feeling better, but still, it was 5:45 in the morning). Long line. The waiting area is so small, that they would only let the people for one flight in the area at a time. Denver, San Jose, and Los Angeles flights were all ahead of we Salt Lake City folks (where I would connect to the Washington DC flight). More waiting.

A lady talking loudly on her cell phone didn't want to wait in the long line. Huh. And?

She sat on a bench and complained loudly to whomever was on the other end of the line. I expect if I'd called any of my friends at that time in the morning, I wouldn't be the one complaining.

Finally it was our turn. Seated cellphone lady cuts in front, and the person checking tickets lets her. Of course, as we all start removing jewelry and shoes and whatnot to go through the security check, she holds things up.
"But this is a pump. It's not liquid you can squeeze out." She was talking about the foundation makeup she had "just bought" and had chosen not to put away after the million intercom and real life announcements about doing just that. She tried arguing and bargaining with the airline person, who was having none of it. The rest of us just stood there.

"It cost a lot of money." The security person suggested putting it in her car... again, the lot is so small, and close, that it was a doable idea.


"But then I'd have to stand in line again."

Eyeballs of mine rolled heavenward.

The lipgloss had to be thrown after all, but ah well, I've got more of those. The lady with the baby had to thrown out the juice after all too. The airline attendants weren't getting too clear instructions either.

I had to wait until I got to Salt Lake, and watch CNN to realize that it was a terrorist plan, not an actual attack that had happened in London.

After all of that, my flights were on time, I got left window seats both times, and listened to Eddie Izzard on my mp3 player.

And here I am. Having a great time so far, and it's been less than 24 hours.

Whoo hoo!

3 comments:

tornwordo said...

Yeah, I was wondering about you all day yesterday having to travel. Glad to hear it went reasonably well for you. Have fun!

St. Dickeybird said...

Glad you made it. And I'm surprised nobody slapped that woman for saying "stand in line AGAIN."
And god bless Eddie.
:)

Chunks said...

Loud cell phone talkers drive me mental!

Glad to hear you made it safe and sound. My parents are flying across the country this weekends so I am sure that will be lovely as well.

Have fun in DC!