Friday, March 31, 2006

Finally, some time to myself

Today we have a "free day." This was at my insistence. I may be just as difficult as the others, but I was at the end of my rope. Spending 24 hours a day with two other people is trying at times. Katrina, who speaks French fairly well, is also rather bossy. We have to do things her way, go in the direction she says, and eat at the restaurants she insists upon. Okay, we don't HAVE to, but it's what's been happening. Of course, it's easier for her to navigate, because she doesn't have to look up every other word she says, but still.

I needed to be on my own. I get overloaded with museums, and it seemed that was all we were doing.

Not as cranky as I sound right now, just tired.


Found the French equivalent to Pic' n' Save today; it's called Tati, and I found all kinds of fun stuff there, mostly for gifts. The "kiss candy" you will have to see. It looks obscene. Very funny.

We're meeting up in about half an hour in front of Victor Hugo's house in the Place De Voges (not sure I spelled that correctly). Hopefully we can slow down and have tea or a glass of wine or three. Katrina also walks very quickly, where ever we are going. I like to stroll, check things out, browse, window shop... all that. Our other friend, Cynthia, she just goes along with whatever we are doing. Never puts in her two cents, which most of the time is probably a good thing, but she can get a bit passive aggressive about things at times too.

Again, I'm not focusing on all the fun stuff.

Some observations:
The boots the women wear here are marvelous. They inspire me to keep looking for my own pair.

Scarves are big here. Really big. Everyone, male, female, young, old, all wear scarves. It's not even that cold.

People cut in line all the time. Nicely dressed people, 50ish looking people, not just teenagers.

I forgot the scents from last time. Everything smells a little like amber to me, which is one of my favorite scents. Cigarettes are everywhere, and I don't like that odor at all. The subway doesn't smell at all.

Everything takes an hour longer than one thinks.

Shoot. Speaking of which, I have to go. Still have to track down the girls.

2 comments:

tornwordo said...

Yay, I fel like I'm there. A day apart sounds like fun! Get boots and get drunk! I love you, can't wait to see the kiss candy.

chella said...

sounds like you're enjoying yourself! i wondered how the trip would develop with the strikes. i empahtize: can't imagine negotiating travel with two others. take care and look forward to hearing more. love, chella