Friday, February 17, 2006

Doing the laundry

I'm home for a few hours, doing my sister's laundry. She's still in the hospital, and doing okay, but damn. This needs to be over. I'm not going to go into great detail, but when you lose a baby this far along in your pregnancy, it's complicated. There are things that must be done, and can't be rushed. We were told 24-48 hours was about how long this particular procedure would take. well, the 48-hour mark was 59 minutes ago, and this is her third day in the hospital.

She's napping now, and sent me off on my errands, so here I am, writing to you all.

Mom slept in the room with her the first night, but snored so badly, and was so fussy the next morning about sleeping on the cot, that my sister insisted it not be repeated again last night. So, Mom, who won't drive at night, got a room at the hotel across the street. She, my mother, was surprised when I said I was going to sleep at my own house. She thought I'd sleep at the hotel with her.
"If something happens during the night, what will I do?"

"Well Mom, you are just across the street."

"It's blocks away (actually, just one), and I'm not walking down this street in this neighborhood (you know, the one with the 2-bedroom, 1-bathroom homes selling for one million?) in the middle of the night."

"Mom, I'm only 5 miles away, I'll come get you."

And so it was settled. Mom is trying to keep it together, but I'm worried about her as well. She's running herself ragged, and going into work every day as well. I don't know how she's keeping it together.

I'm just tired. I want this to be over. This part anyway. My sister has a lot of recovering to do after this, and we don't know how much longer it's going to take.

Interesting observation though, only one of my friends has been calling and asking how things are going. Everyone else must feel awkward or something. One particular friend I've called twice, yet she hasn't returned my calls.

Must remember this next time a friend has a difficult time.

2 comments:

mermaid said...

I was in your sister's place 2 times, and it was horrible both times. My thoughts are with you all during this difficult time.

tornwordo said...

I'm sorry I've been out of touch, I hope everything is ok now. I'll try calling later.