Saturday, January 14, 2006

Organizationally Impaired

So the latest news from my principal is that he is looking for a "state of impeccability" in each and every one of our classrooms (and I'm not even sure it's a word).

This is not good news for me. I'm messy. A slob to some people, but I prefer the title of this post. I just don't know how some people stay so organized. OCD? That's the only explanation I have.

But, if you look inside any cupboard, drawer or my closets, everything has a place. I'm not a shover or hider. I don't stuff things under the bed or behind the dresser. If I'm going to the trouble of putting something away, it's got to have a place. And that's my problem. Not everything has a place.

Right now I have some money to order classroom supplies. Not a lot, but some. I'm trying to find some magnetic file holders I can put on the whiteboards in my room, but I haven't seen them yet. Maybe they don't exist. What can I get that will help with the paper deluge? There's just so much, and so little space.

Home is the same story. My kitchen is set up for the Keebler elves, and that includes the one cupboard on the wall. Last year I got a pot rack, so at least I have a bit more room, but I still store all my bakeware in my oven. Which means I have to take it out every time I want to cook a weightwatcher's pizza. And where do I put it? Not the dining room table, which is covered with god knows what. Books, papers, scarves, bills, doggie treats, boxes from Christmas presents "I might use someday."

I'm trying to get a microwave cart, something like this, because right now, I have the microwave on top of an old typing table that my grandfather swiped from Massachusetts Electric company over 50 years ago. However, if I get the cart, that means I have to find a new home for the table. Which of course I don't want to get rid of.

Oi.

I have to go to the eyeglass place to get new lenses for my glasses, but I left the prescription for them at school. More disorganization. How to get organized? I don't know what will work for me.

2 comments:

tornwordo said...

If there were a fire, what would you run in to save? There, now get rid of everything else, and it'll be much easier to find places for stuff.

chella said...

what we all need is someone to organize stuff for us. we're the artists, and artists create, not organize. with that said, our house is a mess too. am thinking about a free organizer consultation from cosco. see you soon. ps nursing a sore tooth. may need a root canal. c