Monday, January 30, 2006

End of the month

And it's Monday again already.

I drove down to see my sister on Friday afternoon after school. I stayed over and came back on Saturday night.

Thursday morning, while she was getting dressed, her dog had fallen into the pool. She went out side and saw him floating. She got him out, did CPR and mouth-to-mouth, and actually brought him back. Her neighbor drove them to the vet, where Indy seemed to be making quite a recovery. Looking around, trying to sit up. Did so well in fact that they said my sister could pick him up around three that afternoon. They wanted to keep him to warm him up, since his core temperature had fallen to 91 degrees, almost 10 below where a dog's is supposed to be.

She went back in at three, and they told her that he had died only 10 minutes before she got there. His heart just couldn't make it, fighter that he was.

God.

It's awful enough when a pet, a buddy dies, but this. It's horrible. She is being good to herself, most of the time, trying not to blame herself, but of course she does. No matter that he'd never fallen in before, no matter that she only had left him for a few minutes outside.

I tried to distract her (my need to constantly be talking is good for something, at least), and was just there for her. She's four months along now in her pregnancy, and this can't be helping any. I hate that she's so far away from my mom and everyone. I mean, it's not that far, not really, but it's not like I can just pop over there tonight with a pizza either.

Charlie has been getting very annoyed with me these past few days. I can't stop hugging him.

2 comments:

tornwordo said...

God, that's just heartbreaking.

And you are a good sister. I'm glad you were there for her.

damcgeoy said...

Please let lil' sis know that the Seattle contingency sends our heartfelt condolences.