Friday, August 05, 2005

more about photos

You know those pictures that no matter how many times you look at them, they still make you laugh? This is one of mine. It was taken in a photo booth down on the main street of my town, right outside the Woolworth's store. Neither the photo booth or the store is there any longer.

I can't remember exactly the date; probably when we were seniors in college. I have it in a tiny silver frame that sits on a book case in my computer/extra stuff room. These are the two girls, and then women who have been with me through everything in my life. We've known each other since junior high school, and I actually knew Tami back in grade school. I got to know her in 7th grade though. She was in my English class and always wore scarves. She was one of the smartest in the class.

I got an "F" in English my first quarter. I was never a great student.

Carol was in my PE class in 8th grade. She was tall and gangly, and told the worst jokes I'd ever heard. She and I commiserated in our lack of coordination. Hers was a temporary condition however, due to a massive growth spurt (in high school, she was a member of the varsity track team and rowed crew in college). My lack, sadly, was just part of the physical cards I was dealt.

Both became good friends of mine when we all joined the choir in high school. Tami and I in ninth grade and Carol in tenth. Tami was an amazing singer, and also played the piano when needed. Yes, it was called the Acappella Choir, but it wasn't always acappella. Carol and I goofed around more than Tami. We were sent out of the classroom more than once during 4th period.

It would be a whole novel to describe our history together. We went to three different universities, traveled in Europe together for three months, and the two of them moved to Los Angeles together, while I stayed in our home town, then moved to Japan. We weathered broken hearts and crummy jobs, and graduate school. One got married, moved farther away, and started a family. The other also fell in love, bought a house, and set up housekeeping. I've been single for what seems like forever, and I'll probably rent until I die.

Even so, with all the differences in our lives, I share the deepest friendship possible with these two women. How lucky and blessed I am to have found them at such a young age, and to be able to still have them as a part of me.

1 comment:

r said...

The only award I won in school was the "funny face" award. It does help in teaching junior high.

My buddies were always being mistaken for boys. Drove them nuts. Carol still is once in a while.