Thursday, August 11, 2005

Garage Sale

Anyone that knows me knows I'm a pack rat. I "might need it someday" is usually the excuse I use. It's hard for me to let go of things. I am getting better at it, but still, it's a challenge.

About a year and a half ago, two girlfriends came over to help me do a "clean sweep" of all my crap. I got the idea from a TV show of the same name. I liked watching it, because the people's houses were always far worse than mine; I could be superior about it all. We purged quite a bit. However, after we had a truckload (a Toyota truckload, but a truckload just the same) of stuff, my landlady said she wasn't too hot on the idea of a garage sale. So, off it all went, even the paperback books that I could have taken to The Book Den, the used book store, and sold for money, off it went to the Alpha Thrift store.

I've rarely had good luck with garage sales. The last time I took part in one, I ended up spending more than I made.

But, hope springs eternal, so Saturday, I'll be trying it again. I still have the same anti-garage sale landlady, so I'll be going over to Katrina and Sam's place. He's going fishing, of course, so it will be up to us. This time I'm selling my Kitchen table, and chairs and the almost new coffee table from Ikea that I bought a month or two ago and which is too big for my little place. I've also got a ton of clothes and stuff to go, but you never know if that's going to sell or not.

So, here's the deal now. My aunt gave me my grandmother's table last Christmas, so that's center stage. However, she only gave me two of the chairs, and only one of the chairs is usable. The other looks like it was bashed against a wall in 1952 and has been glued together 20 times since. And, my aunt's dog chewed through one of the legs so badly that I'm afraid it will break if more than 12 pounds is put upon it. I thought it was just too far gone to save, but my mother said "oh no, those chairs are very valuable" (see where I get the packrattedness from?)

Bottom line? I have only one chair that is functional, other than the old computer chair I'm sitting in right now.

And I'm supposed to have people over on Sunday night.

Oops.

1 comment:

tornwordo said...

If everything's a quarter, you'll sell it all. That's what I did.

Good luck!