Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Department meeting all morning today

Should be loads of fun.
Really.
I mean it.

Why don't you believe me?

Anyway, got some fabulous news yesterday; the VP, who I thought was leaving for greener pastures, has decided to stay. I teared up when I heard it. Huge sigh of happiness and relief. See, he's this great guy, who also keeps our Principal level-headed. The kids love him, teachers love him, parents mostly love him (some parents just can't be pleased).

And, I have three Honors classes. I wasn't expecting that. Maybe two, but three? Yahoo! I get to spend less time disciplining, and more time with the kids, helping them learn.

And... the furniture was finally put back into place. I think Roger was bitter about it, but it was moved.

I gotta go.

2 comments:

tornwordo said...

Hey, good to hear some nice things are happening. But I thought I remember you saying that teaching honors was kind of a drag....was it because of the nazi parents or the elitist nature of the students, I can't recall.

r said...

Teaching Honors is great. I just don't believe it should exist. It's a false level created to placate those parents who feel their children should be in GATE, but whose children did not acheive the scores necessary to qualify as GATE.

We almost got rid of it this year, but a small group of parents applied pressure, and the school board of course backed them up. Not the teachers, not the research, but the rich Montecito parents.

Having said that, Honors students usually do their work, and I can have more fun with them. It's a rude awakening however, for both them and their parents, when they get to high school and realize that Honors doesn't exist anymore.