Sunday, July 17, 2005

One hour from now

I will be meeting Katrina at the stairs at the beach. I will have Charlie with me, and two mochas from Starbuck's. Katrina's will be a grande, decaf, non -fat with whip, and mine will be a non-fat, no whip version. We trade off who gets the coffee when we walk in the mornings. She always gets the same thing, but if it's Coffee Bean and Tea leaf, I get an English Breakfast Latte. Yum.

Jett, Katrina's dog won't be joining us. He broke a toe (a compound fracture!) and then it got infected. She and her husband have spent over $2000 on this one small thing. I always thought pet insurance was silly; now I'm not so sure. I've spent about $200 myself on old Charlie boy over the last two weeks; all on his skin allergies.

See, he was scratching more than normal after I got back from my Vegas trip with Tornwordo. He already had antihistamines he was taking twice a day. Nope, didn't help. So I then upped them to three a day (after calling my vet first); still no change.

I took him in. New special shampoo, new special anti-itch lotion, I started him on fish oil capsules, and was told I could add Benydryl to his daily cocktail of pills. Still not much change, except that he was doped up and sleepy most of the time from the Benydryl. Then I found little scabs near his tail. Just what I didn't want to have happen.

We go back in. Yep, he has a staph infection now. Charming. He had a horrible one when he came into the shelter almost two years ago, and the one time he got fleas when he was with me (did I mention he's also seriously allergic to fleas?). Now he's on antibiotics, and special food. Get this, it's Duck. Yes folks, my dog is now eating the same thing I can't afford for myself. He has special dry food and special wet food. A Duck and oatmeal blend; a melange, if you will.

Supposedly, Duck has the lowest known allergens for the Canine population. We will see. He can't have anything else but his special food. No tidbits from my plate (not that I would ever do such a thing) and no little doggie treats for now. Although I do know there are Duck doggie treats, I just don't know where to find them.

Anyway, now there is only 1/2 hour until I meet Katrina, and I must get on my way.

2 comments:

chella said...

poor charlie! my white cat moot, who died at 20 in 1999, was allergy ridden. maybe our feline and canine kids with white fur are more susceptible to these problems. how was your walk? t & i come home today and plan to start our ideal healthy lifestyle. ttyl.

tornwordo said...

Sorry, Charlie. Couldn't resist.

Hope you had a nice walk.