Tuesday, June 07, 2005

7 days left

The kids say to me, "Ms. Sillars, do we have to do any work? I mean it's the end of school."

I say, "Yes it is, the end of school, not the beginning of summer."

It's hard though, since I'm ready to get out as well. This time of year is difficult for all. As a teacher, I'm madly trying to get everything I've put off graded, so I will have final marks for everyone. However, what most kids don't know, is that I had to submit the names of kids who are earning "A's, and are possible valedictorians, by May 27th. Yes, 19 days before graduation. Then, tomorrow I have to submit the names of those students who are failing. That's 8 days before the end of school.

Every year, I'd try to be ethical, and keep teaching and requiring homework and grading it, but it really wouldn't matter. Because, as of tomorrow, it's all over. I've complained about it, agonized over it, but it's the way things are.

So, I compromise. Today and tomorrow we are holding a Socratic seminar. Kids get to talk, and I just listen. There's a score sheet, and if someone refuses to add to the conversation, I note it, but really, do kids have to have a damn grade to prove they've learned something? I don't think so.

I wish I could just give them all "A"s and be done with it. I hate grading papers, as I've mentioned before, and besides, how many kids actually read my suggestions written in green or purple ink? Grades have become so imperative to some parents that they become more important than whether or not their child is growing into a good human being. The pressure from some parents is incredible; and the easy thing to do is just cave in. Yesterday I had a call from a mom wanting extra credit for her daughter so she could earn an "A" instead of a "B." I give extra credit once a semester, and the daughter had chosen not to do it. Now, with just a few days to go, mom decides to talk to me.

I said no.

And now, I have to grade 88 more poetry portfolios.

2 comments:

tornwordo said...

If the parents care so much about the grades, maybe we should just let them give them out. Surely, everyone would just get an A then. : - )

r said...

Mel, you'd be amazed at how many teacher and administrators feel that grades are all too important. I believe in public school; I just wish that our politicians and the general public would have faith that we are professionals, and we are doing what we do because we are trained and educated to do so, and because we truely love what we are doing.

I mean, every parent knows their chidren better than I do, but on the other hand, I don't go to the doctor and then tell him what to prescribe for me.

There is such a big difference between parents and teachers working together, and parents dictating what the teachers will and will not do for their kids.

That's why I appreciate you... you don't want your kids in public school, so you have taken on that responsibility yourself.