Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Friendship

Being that I am single, my friendships mean more to me than almost anything else in the world. Making a new friend is easy; making a good friend, not so much. The friends I already have set the bar pretty damn high.

Yesterday I drove to Sherman Oaks to see one of my best friends, Carol. She's got a phobia about being found on the internet, so I won't use her real name. Actually, Carol is her middle name, so you figure it out. Anyway, I don't get to see her as much as I'd like, even though she's only about an hour and a half away. She's writing a book, going to grad school, and she and her partner are putting an addition onto their house. They also have two big dogs, which makes it hard to travel.

Anyway, we went to breakfast at this diner that didn't have biscuits and gravy on the menu. It had chicken-fried steak, it had gravy, but no biscuits. I was bummed. I don't like ordering things I can make at home, and country gravy is one of the few things I have not been able to master in the kitchen. So we eat, and laugh, and as we leave I see the specials board; "New! We now have waffles and biscuits and gravy!"

Poop. But, after all, I didn't go down for the food.

After that, we went to Target. I love Target. I could spend hours in there. Carol had even said to me the night before, "No, I don't want to go there with you. You have to look at everything, and pick it up, and figure out how it works. No."

But, I begged, said I'd be good, and that I was trying to find the new dark Chocolate M&Ms.
"There's dark chocolate ones? Okay, I'll go with you tomorrow."

So we went off on a candy quest. Target didn't have them, but I did get shimmering body powder, vanilla scented shaving cream and some whitening mouthwash.

Next was Sav-on. No dice. In Sav-on, my mom called on the cell phone. See, I was supposed to be home by noon, and it was already 1pm. I had told her I would go with her to the old house to... I'll talk about that in the next blog.

I told her that traffic was horrible (total lie), and she said not to worry, she'd go by herself.

Okay, back to the candy quest. We then stopped at a 7-11, but they didn't know what we were talking about.

Onward to Walgreen's. Hooray! we found... a display where the dark chocolate ones used to be. All that was left were the milk chocolate "Jedi" packages. Grr.

Rite-aid was next door. Nope. Didn't have 'em either. So we drove all the way to the next Walgreens, and joy of joy, they were there. They even had dark chocolate M&M's with peanuts! We each bought two bags, and celebrated our success.

And then, the candy wasn't even that great. I mean it was chocolate, so it wasn't that bad, but certainly not anything to go to great lengths for.

Except.

I got to spend time with my good friend, laughing, goofing around, and being myself. It was the first time in about 10 days that the pulled muscle in my neck didn't bother me.

I got very lucky in the friend department.

3 comments:

tornwordo said...

Awww, that was a nice homage to "Carol".

Also, I kept thinking "Save your money for Vegas" but I guess candy isn't too extravagant. Vanilla scented shaving cream? That's another story.

r said...

It cost just as much as the regular stuff! $1.54. I know, I know... I'll have moola for Vegas. Don't worry.

mermaid said...

I remember both you and "carol" from high school. You are very right about good friends, and it has been much too long since I have had any contact with anyone from that time in our lives. Hope you still check your blog - would like to say hello again...to 2 old friends.