Monday, May 30, 2005

Back to reality I go

It's the Sunday night blahs on Monday night. Memorial Day weekend, a holiday in which we are supposed to remember those soldiers fallen in battle. In actuality, we hit the malls for super sales, have barbecues, and are once again allowed to wear white skirts and shoes (until Labor Day).

When I think about those who have died, are dying, and will die in Iraq, I get sick. One of my former students, David, is over there as a Marine. My memory of him is a pain in the butt teenager who never did his homework, and always had an excuse why. One time, he and his buddy cut school, stole a car, and drove it right into a parked one. I remember him saying he was going to be grounded forever for that.

I hope he's safe. Not one of those I have to remember today.

No comments: