Thursday, September 13, 2007

So I'm not the only one annoyed

James Blunt is a singer. He had that REALLY annoying song last year, Beautiful, that was played ad nauseam during the holidays. All about this woman he sees on the bus, with whom he falls instantly in love, and whom he will never see again. Bleah.

So his new song is 1973. Owing to the fact that I don't have a CD player in my car, and the cassette player is broken ( I think Mary Black's been stuck inside for the past three years), I listen to the radio. This song is being played incessantly. It's slowly driving me insane. Here are the lyrics:

Simona
You're getting older
Your journey's been etched
On your skin

Simona
Wish I had known that
What seemed so strong
Has been and gone

I would call you up every Saturday night
And we'd both stay out 'til the morning light
And we sang, "Here we go again"

And though time goes by
I will always be
In a club with you
In 1973
Singing, "Here we go again"

Simona
Wish I was sober
So I could see clearly now
The rain has gone

Simona
I guess it's over
My memory plays our tune
The same old song

I would call you up every Saturday night
And we'd both stay out 'til the morning light
And we sang, "Here we go again"

And though time goes by
I will always be
In a club with you
In 1973
Singing, "Here we go again"

I would call you up every Saturday night
And we'd both stay out 'til the morning light
And we sang, "Here we go again"

And though time goes by
I will always be
In a club with you
In 1973
Singing, "Here we go again"
I would call you up every Saturday night
And we'd both stay out 'til the morning light
And we sang, "Here we go again"

And though time goes by
I will always be
In a club with you
In 1973
Singing, "Here we go again"

And though time goes by
I will always be
In a club with you
In 1973


Not only are the lyrics vapid and repetitive, this guy wasn't even alive in 1973. I was in third grade, but at least I have some memory of that time. Supposedly, he wrote the song after visiting some dance club in Izbara, but why was it set in 1973?

Am I spending too much time thinking about this? Probably. But it bugs me.

On a lighter note? I actually saw a coyote this morning while walking the Wonder Dog. I've lived here four years, and heard them almost every night, but have not seen one in the area until this morning. I'm taking it as a good sign.


13 comments:

Chunks said...

I haven't heard the song but then again, I'm listening to Nazareth and Styx still because I liked 1973.

James Blunt is retarded. He could have used 1993 and it would have worked. Dweeb.

There, feel better? You got me picking on James Blunt for you! LOL!

Look out for the coyotes if you see them in a pack. They might try to get Charley boy to join their gang.

CoffeeDog said...

Is Blunt the same guys that sings "You've had a Bad Day" ? If so, then I hate that guy.

tornwordo said...

It's time to switch to talk-radio, lol. Every time I've seen a coyote, it's been super scrawny.

Anonymous said...

Gack on those stupid lyrics.

But the last time I picked on someone I didn't really care about for someone else I did it halfheartedly and absentmindedly and I accidentally picked on the person for something that the person I was humoring had. It was a bad moment that sometimes haunts me to this day. So I'm only commenting on the lyrics.

Anonymous said...

One could hurl invectives at Bryan Adams because he was, oh, say, 8 years old during the supposed "Summer of '69" or maybe aim a cream pie at Isaac Asimov for writing about the imagined future, which he would never be a part of, but I suppose it would be a pretty bleak world if we all just painted between the lines all the time. g'night

David said...

I liked him before he became popular.

Now I won't buy his new CD. But, then again, I'm still stuck on a Chicago based singer/songwriter named Dylan Rice who should be popular.

But, he's gay, so he'll never achieve anything here in the US.

Perplexio said...

My wife and sister-in-law both seem to like him, I just don't get it. Never will.

QT said...

I am not a fan. Tho he did have another song that wasn't quite as vapid - I think it was called "High"?

Lucia said...

Oohh. Kind of like a coyote animal messenger. Cool.

CoffeeDog said...

Miss you! come back soon :-)

Snooze said...

lol - I had the same thought as runfromhuber about Bryan Adams. Mind you, my friends and I decided he was singing about the event 69 rather than the date.

As for James Blunt, I'm glad I missed hearing 1973, although the video for You're Beautiful was so silly that I get a kick out of listening to the song. It makes me think of him jumping off a bridge.

Doug said...

Not sure why (like, what purpose does it serve?) they overplay songs like that. Even good songs. After the 400th time I'm sick of them.

Anyway, I noticed you haven't posted in a few weeks. I hope everything is okay.

Sakira said...

Wow thats extremely wonderful I actually have detected a brand new app how many calories in an apple this app is nice and that i have started gazing it.Thanks for the assistance and suggesting the matter i'll travel with it.Keep publication and writing new article.