Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Beginning Latin Ballroom Dance



I don't think I'm going back next week.

Yesterday, as I was cleaning out my classroom, trying to figure out how to shove nine months worth of files into the two inches of space left in my cabinet, Tricia came by. Said she was going to a dance class, and I should come. It was for beginners, and was just an hour on Monday nights; from 8:30 - 9:30.

My dancing has been compared to Elaine's on Seinfield. I have crap coordination and my rhythm is... well... let's just say I can sometimes get off beat. I can carry a tune fine; just don't make me dance.

Yet, off I went. Of course, this was after a G and T and a pint with some other friends beforehand for fortification. Maybe not the best idea.

So, the teacher? I think she was about 80 years old. Very cute, with a faint Irish accent. We did the... Samba? Tango? Hell, I don't know. It started with a fox trot (I was reasonably successful with that) then moved to some turns and a "Cuban walk" and then some other kinds of turns and me turning red and stepping on my partner.

Who, for most of the night was a kind, but far-too-much-cologne-wearing older man, who seems a little frustrated he got stuck with me.

I started peeking at my watch 15 minutes in. I even thought about just checking out early, hoping no one would notice. Of course I shamed myself into staying the whole hour. Who can't last an hour of embarrassment?

Dancing is beautiful to watch. I just don't think it's the thing for me.

Besides. Even if I was the most fabulous dancer there, who do I have to dance with anyway?

I'm sticking to drinking cocktails. Now there's something I know how to do.

9 comments:

GayProf said...

I ain't got rhythm. I will join you at the table of cocktails.

Snooze said...

Ah, I so don't have rhythm either, but I think I'm going to try dance lessons next. You should stay for another couple of lessons. It might get easier. I am very envious that you can carry a tune.

Lucia said...

I've got enough rhythm to carry a mambo in a Cuban bar (and have...in Cuba!) Thanks for bringing back to mind the Elaine lurch...which can make me laugh just thinking about it.

Lucia said...

Or perhaps it's more of a spaz than a lurch...

tornwordo said...

You're not that bad. This reminds me of the girl, what was her name, oh yes, Camilla from Brazil, who decided to teach me the samba. This is the one where your butt does all the moving and jiggling. The students cried laughing as I tried to make my hips do that thing. I got the foot part down at least, lol.

St. Dickeybird said...

That sounds fun! Especially after a G&T and a pint...

I've got great rhythm, but move like Rodney Dangerfield.

Chunks said...

I love dancing but the learning is the hardest part. Once you know though, it's something in your reppetoire that you won't ever forget. I say go again and bring your partner some ice for his feet, dance baby dance. If they can teach One Legged Heather Mills to dance, I'm sure you can learn too!

Devo said...

I agree with Chunks, dance baby dance. Besides, flailing is supposed to be a good exercise, says Em, and I tend to think she knows a thing or two.:) Maybe next session you'll meet the most wonderful guy,...or not. Hey, it'll be fun and humbling and character building, all at the same time!!

Doug said...

Are you allowed to bring and dance with your own dance partner? That made things easier for me when I took a dance class in college. Then the mistakes are reasons for laughter rather than embarrassment.