Saturday, April 28, 2007

Bad Cold! Bad, Bad Cold!

(Trying to sound like I do when chastising Charlie for chewing up yet another pair of my socks.)


Oh man. I haven't even logged on to my computer at home this whole week. Four of the last five nights I've gone to bed between 7 and 8 o'clock. It's not turning into anything evil, just a rotten cold. I've not gotten sick this whole school year, so I suppose it was overdue. Missing school for a day or two to take it easy is almost more work than sludging through, so I've not taken any time off.

What a whiner I be. I don't know how moms do it. I mean, you still have to take care of the kidlets, no matter how crummy you feel. Ugh. I was feeling guilty because I wasn't taking the wonder dog for his usual long treks, but he dealt with it.

The weather today is supposed to be gorgeous; I'm hoping some sunshine will help me feel better.

Two more months left, 35 days left of school, not that I'm counting. We are in the middle of standardized testing right now, so the schedule is all wonky; the kids test in the morning for 90 to 125 minutes, and then we have shortened classes. It's a drag, because it's hard to work within a 26 -minute period. I mean, I take roll, ask the kids to take out a pencil. Ask them again to take out a pencil, begin something, and boom, end of period. Frustrating for all.

I don't usually write about school here, but I'm going to. We are reading The House of the Scorpion right now, and I got a call a couple days ago from a parent. She didn't want her child reading it, and could I suggest something else? Hmm... I had a parent last year request the same thing, and her reason was that the book was "Junk. It's just junk."

Not too enlightening for me.

So, I asked politely, "What is it about the book you find unacceptable? Is it the cloning?"

See people, I've searched the Internet for anything negative about this book, and I can't find it. It's won award after award after award, and it's a great book. Not just for teenagers, anyone. It's enjoyable, and thought-provoking, even if it does drag on a bit at the end.

I digress.

"Well no, it's not that. It's just that we want our child to read something more... wholesome. Something with a positive message."

"Oh. Well, it really does have a positive message. You know, we have finished reading the Diary of Anne Frank, and we're going to be drawing comparisons to it, and how people should be defined by the content of their character, rather than the labels others give them."

"To be honest, I haven't actually read the book, but I just don't think it's what we want junior to read."

ARGGGHHH!!!

How can someone make a decision about a book he or she has not read? This drives me absolutely insane. Bonkers. Nuts.

So, being that it's junior high, and the parent is always right, I said I'd give the student another book to read.

And now I have even more lessons to prepare because of this one single student. Although it's not her fault. I would have dug a hole and hid if my mother had ever done something like this to me.

35 more days.

8 comments:

GayProf said...

Probably her pastor/minister told her that she should not like that book. I tell you, I am really frightened by the way that parents think they should control their children's access to learning. It is even dripping into colleges (where they are not "children" any more). Oh, yeah, you tapped into one my biggest peeves.

Maybe your cold is really allergies? It is that season. Whatever the case, I hope you feel better. Being ill sucks.

Chunks said...

Sorry you feel bad Rebekah!

The mother with the kid and the book? I don't know HOW you can be a teacher! If bitch would have called me you know what junior would be reading? Running With Scissors or I Am Not Myself These Days or some other wacky memoir filled with sex, drugs and rock and roll. What the hell is wrong with people?!

Oh wow, I didn't really know that I felt this strongly about this. Wow. Anyway, it just wrong and I am sorry you have to do extra work because someone is being an arse. 35 more sleeps and it will all be over.

Doug said...

I suck at being sick. I totally don't understand how parents do it either.

Here's one of the reviews of the book from Amazon. This is probably one of your students, or the student's parents given the spelling mistakes. ;)

"This is a horrible book. I hate it. I know 3 kids that read it and all of them hated it. My teacher recomended it but shes a wierdo. I think they should stop selling this book. Dont waste your money on this piece of crap."

tornwordo said...

Can't you just tell them that if they want to dictate what their children learn, they can send them to private school or homeschool them?

r said...

Gayprof: I thought of that myself, but I can't see how it's anti-Christian (I mean, there isn't any...oh dear god... Magic in it, like that pagan series, Harry Potter.

Chunks: It's a few more sleeps than that; 35 SCHOOL days... I wasn't counting weekends. Sigh...

Doug: How many glowing reviews did you have to go through to get that one? And besides, we all know I'm a weirdo anyway.

Torn: No, I can't say that. It would become a great big twisted mess where my principal would tell me to just "save myself the headache" (which really means save him the headache) and give the kid another book. And funny, the mom had homeschooled the kid up until this year. Interesting, isn't it?

Snooze said...

do you get these sorts of requests often? That would drive me mental.

St. Dickeybird said...

Can't you say 'no' to interfering parents?

Anonymous said...

Gah. This is how nomeschooling got such a bad name. I guess in this case teaching has stuff in common with waiting tables. The customer is right, eh? i'm sorry you have to put up with that crap, and I'm sorry that you are sick too.