Thursday, December 14, 2006

I went to Ross tonight

I thought, foolishly, that it might not be too busy.

God.

So crowded, and everyone with that desperate, "I can't be thoughtful anymore, I have to just buy something!" look on their face. I felt a bit of that way too.

See, when I started working at my school, I was told by a wiser, more experienced teacher, "You need to give gifts to the women in the office, and the custodians. Remember who has the power in the school."

And so, every year I buy them presents. Or are they gifts? I have a friend who says a gift is something a person wants that you give to them. A present is something you give to a person because you want them to have it. Or something like that.

Anyway, you should see the haul, the butt load of stuff they walk away with every year. I kid you not, three grocery bags full, every one of them.

Thing is, I'm guessing most of the gifts are regifted anyway. I've actually seen lotion I've given to one of them end up in the women's staff bathroom. So why do I bother?

Because I have to, basically, uh... pay my respects. And I do, every year.

Now the custodians? They're another story. I love the chance to say thank you to them. They work their behinds off, and get the least thanks of anyone.

Me? Don't teachers rake it in?

Maybe somewhere, in fantasyland or Beverly Hills. Nope. Usually I get homemade cookies, homemade fudge, homemade ornaments, and family photos of my students. Once in a while, a starbucks gift card.

But you know what? The best are the cards and notes written to me by my students. Now, those are the gifts. Today I got one from a darling little girl in 4th period:

"Dear Mrs. Teacher (I'm not married yet, bless her heart),
Your (sic) awesome! Thanks for making English my favorite class this year!"
Love,
Darling Little Girl



Doesn't that just make your heart melt?

5 comments:

tornwordo said...

The kid cards are truly the best. Everyone will use and appreciate a gift certificate to the market. It will not be regifted.

Anonymous said...

That's sweet!

r said...

Torn: I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't give gift cards this year. Perhaps that was rash.
Dicky: Isn't it though? Hey, I've been trying to leave comments on your blog, but blogger won't let me!

GayProf said...

Beta Blogger is rejecting everybody who is not yet a beta-head for comments, FYI. You can leave one under "anonymous" and just sign your name. It's great advertising for how great Beta is, isn't it?

Annnnyway -- I am feeling the desperate "must just buy something" feeling myself.

Students have given me different items in my limited number of years teaching. I am always touched -- unless they give it to me right before the final exam.

You are free now, no?

Anonymous said...

I like to give the gift of Tim Horton's for Christmas to the teachers, I ALWAYS send a gift of some sort though. I mean, if the kids didn't have teachers, then I would have to put up with them for seven hours every day. There is no gift big enough for that!