Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Packing

Isn't it always a pain? I mean, I worry about bringing too much or not enough, or not the right thing or forgetting my underwear or my anti-perspirant, and if I will need a blow dryer and is it vain to worry about that?

They've eased up on the carry-on regulations a bit; but only 3oz or less of each toiletry item. Which means I went out and bought a few and have transferred the lotions and shampoo and such that I can't live without into.

(Yeah, I know, awkward sentence. Sue me.)

And then, there's the extra pair of undies and a shirt and a pair of socks. Why worry about it, Rebekah? Just bring a magazine and a pack of gum, and you'll be fine.

Maybe, but have you ever had your luggage lost? I have. And it's never lost on the return trip. You know, when you at least will be at home with the rest of your belongings. Oh no, it's always on the way out.

The worst was the time I flew out for a friend's wedding in Massachusetts. They were getting married on the 6th of July, and I flew out a few days before. The wedding was to be in Manchester-by-the-Sea, a little town about 40 miles outside of Boston.

The plane was on time, and we all filed off and waited for our luggage. Waited and waited. Watched the carousel go round and round...

Finally, the first few bags came out... a few seconds later, a horrible stench arose. Seems there had been some kind of frozen fish or seafood in the cargo hold that had become...um... unfrozen. Unfrozen and melted actually. All over and through people's soft-sided luggage.

It was bad.

The line to customer service was from one side of the huge room to the other. Still, I waited. Waited until there were just five fishy bags left, and mine wasn't one of them. Waited in line, was told my bag was probably on the next flight in and to check in then.

I actually felt lucky that my bag hadn't been one of the ones covered in goo. My friends picked me up, we went to dinner, and called United to find out if my bag had showed up yet.

Nope. Check back in at 10:15, there's a final flight from Los Angeles then. Okay, all out for a drink, and called again. Nothing.

"Give us your address and we'll deliver it."

So, we drove the forty miles to Manchester-by-the-Sea, and hoped for the best.

The next day was the big Fourth of July parade. I of course, was wearing a flag tee-shirt I had bought, blue plaid dress pants (Stop laughing! It was 1992!), and navy blue pumps. Everyone else was wearing shorts, and it was about a million degrees, with 98% humidity, but I tried to be good spirited about it. I actually did have the dress I was wearing to the wedding with me, but no other clothes.

We got back to her parent's house, where there were three messages from the delivery company. Basically they were lost, couldn't find the house, and threatened that if we didn't call back, they'd take my bag back to Boston. Being that we were at the parade, that's exactly what happened.

Called them back, they had given the bag back to United. Called United, got the bag sent back out again.

Later that night, my bag finally showed up. Well, most of my bag. One corner of it looked like the ear of one of the Wonder Dog's chew toys. Missing.

Zipper, fabric, just gone. The clothes inside looked fairly intact though. I've never figured out what could've happened. The delivery guys said it came that way to them.

Wedding was lovely, everyone cried, and the next day, instead of enjoying the festivities (those rich, old money family weddings last for a week!), I took the train in to Boston to figure out what happened to my damn suitcase. I had to rent a car at the airport anyway, because I was going to drive to Albany, to visit the same friend I'm visiting in Albany next week.

Stood in line at the United counter with the case, waited forever again, and then was told there was nothing they could do. Really, that's what they told me. I said the suitcase had been brand new, and not only had they lost it, causing me great inconvenience, it had been damaged in their care. I was polite, which I think they misread as weak.

Next I was offered a cardboard box, while the suitcase was sent for "repairs."

Yeah, right. I smiled. Not good enough. Repeated my party line. Now, I do look a bit younger than my age, but at 28, I looked barely legal. They didn't expect me to stick to my guns.

"I'm sorry Miss, but my manager is the only one who can authorize a new case, and he's not here until Monday."

I smiled again, crossed my arms, and said politely, "I'm not going anywhere until I get either a new suitcase or the money to reimburse me for this one."

Much hemming and hawing... then miraculously, the woman suddenly had the power to authorize a new bag for me. However, I was going to have to go to the luggage shop, about a mile away, to pick it up.

Off to rent the car, and follow the directions (Me! Driving in Boston! Not a great idea). Get to the shop, get the bag, put it in the back seat, and shut the door. And shut it again. And again. Check to see if the seatbelt or something else is in the door latch. Nope. Back door won't close. I try and try, nothing. I attach the belt to the door, and try to make my way back to the rental place. It works until I go around a corner, and the door flies open and the bag comes crashing out on the pavement.

I keep it together, a nice man stops and helps me jerryrig the door shut, and I get to the rental place. When they ask me to stand in a 20-person deep line again is when I do lose it finally. Tears, huge angry frustrated tears.

They worked. Got right to the head of the line, got the new car, and finally on my way.

Accidents happen, and I don't blame anyone for that. What I hated was how it seemed to be company policy to take as little blame as possible, and then make it unbelievably difficult for the customer, me, to get what should have been given to me. And an apology? Ha.

What's happened to manners in this world? Am I incredibly naive to expect them, and be surprised at the lack of them?

God, I sound like an old lady.

Have a good night all.

1 comment:

Doug said...

I've thought about shipping my things ahead of time. Saves the hassle and pretty much guarantees you'll have what you need.

I'm sorry, but melted fish is sickeningly hilarious.

And talk about the trip from HELL! I would have cried, too. It's days/weeks like those that make one believe in fate/the planets aligning/bad luck. How could so many things go so wrong in such a short period of time?!?!