Sunday, November 26, 2006

It could be worse

So, yesterday, the wonder-dog and I went with two friends wine tasting up in the Santa Ynez hills. Charlie boy was quiet and well-mannered, and we had a good time.

However, he did seem to have some...um... poop-edge problems. Really bad gas too, which is unlike him. Even so, he wasn't really acting sick or anything, so I didn't even think about it.

Went to bed early last night (the jet lag-ish thing caught up with me), and so did my canine buddy. Woke up about midnight to a sloshing sound out in the living room, and Charlie not in the bed. I knew it couldn't be good, but ew... it was bad.

In front of the front door (at least he tried!) was three lines of -- there's no way to politely say it -- brown, wet, goop. It was the consistency of tapioca, but with a foul odor attached as well.

God. Poor little guy. I cleaned it up as best I could, cleaned him up, threw the flip flop he pooped on outside, and went back to bed.

At three, I realized he was out of bed again. Not again.

Yep, this time in the computer/room of despair (I call it that because it's just never going to get clean again). And this time, there weren't little distinct lines, oh no, this time it looked like he had been flinging it every where. On shoes, totes, a little throw rug, on a box, the corner of my wine rack... it was all over. Oh man, my little buddy was not happy, and I could just picture him,
Squirt. Turn around quickly to inspect what he did. Squirt! "not again!" turn around, squirt... repeat repeat repeat.

It was not pretty.

So, yet again, I do my cleaning thing, get him cleaned up as well and went back to bed. Oh, before that I called the all night vet, just to make sure I do the right thing. He told me no food for the next 12 hours and then just boiled rice and cottage cheese until his tummy gets better.

Got up finally at seven, and washed the pooped-upon towels, threw away most of the other stuff that was hit, and brought out my mini-steam cleaner dirt devil. Spent my morning on my hands and knees scrubbing and vacuuming.

But, it could have happened while I was away, and it could have happened when I had to go to work, so I'm trying to be thankful for the little things.

Poor little guy.

5 comments:

GayProf said...

Poor guy. I am always amazed by how much poo small dogs can contain.

Doug said...

Way to look on the bright side.

Poor both of you. Hope you're both doing better.

Anonymous said...

Poor Charlie! Cottage cheese? I thought Dairy for a dog wasn't the best thing?! Usually they say boiled rice and boiled hamburger...I hope it was just something he ate and not some terrible thing. Maybe he was just excited that you were home? I know I get the um, trots, when I get too excited. Some things almost kill me!

tornwordo said...

I would have been gagging the whole time as I was cleaning it up. Hope he feels better today.

St. Dickeybird said...

Our dog had poo- issues like that for a couple of weeks last year. It was an absolute nightmare!