Thursday, August 03, 2006

This has got to be my all time favorite use of fresh tomatoes:

Alla Checca
· 2 lb garden tomatoes, chopped
· 2 cloves garlic, peeled
· 15 fresh basil leaves
· 1/2 cup olive oil
· salt
· 12 oz spagettini or angel hair pasta

  1. Remove the stem end of the tomatoes and discard. With a sharp knife, chop the tomatoes coarsely and place them in a glass bowl. Salt the tomatoes and let them sit for 15 minutes. Drain the excess juice.
  2. Meanwhile, crush the garlic cloves by placing them, one at a time, on your work surface and placing the side of your knife blade on it. Use your fist to firmly press the blade down, crushing the garlic in the process. After smashing the garlic, chop it finely and add it to the tomatoes.
  3. Remove the basil leaves from their stems, chop or tear them coarsely, and toss with the tomatoes and garlic.
  4. Add the olive oil and toss again.
  5. Let the mixture rest in a cool spot, but not the refrigerator, for about 2 hours.
  6. Cook the pasta and drain it. Add the pasta to the sauce. Toss the mixture and serve immediately.

My sister gave me some tomatoes from her garden. Don't those always taste best? God. Too bad I couldn't share this with any of you. No, not because I ate it all! Because none of you are close enough.

ps: I am rather garlicky now. Hope Charlie-boy doesn't mind.

1 comment:

tornwordo said...

That's what we made the other day. I call it a la fresca. We use penne pasta too. Sometimes I add goat cheese, mmmmmmm.